Meredith Kaufman is a partner in Baker McKenzie’s Employment & Compensation Practice Group in New York. She has represented employers in all types of employment litigation throughout her career. She also advises employers in the financial services, retail, technology, and other industries on a wide range of employment issues.
Meredith’s practice focuses on employment law disputes in US federal and state courts, before administrative agencies, and in arbitrations and mediations.
She has extensive experience handling complex employment litigation involving non-competes and other restrictive covenants, whistleblower retaliation claims under Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) and Dodd-Frank, discrimination, harassment and retaliation claims under Title VII, the ADA, the ADEA, New York State Human Rights Law and the New York City Human Rights Law, and wage and hour matters under the FLSA and New York Labor Law.
Meredith also advises clients on employment law compliance and related strategic issues. She drafts employment-related policies, handbooks and agreements, and conducts training for employers and their work forces on avoiding harassment and discrimination claims, investigating employee complaints, employee discharge and discipline, and whistle blowers and retaliation.
- Columbia Law School (J.D.) (2008)
- Duke University (B.A.) (2005)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit~United States (2013)
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York~United States (2012)
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York~United States (2012)
- New York~United States (2009)
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- American Bar Association – Labor and Employment Law
- New York State Bar Association
Representative Legal Matters:
- Obtained dismissal of SOX whistleblower retaliation claim for a Fortune 50 financial services institution.
- Represented consulting firm in high-profile sexual harassment and retaliation litigation.
- Obtained preliminary injunction prohibiting financial software company’s former employee from working for a competitor in breach of non-competition agreement.
- Obtained summary judgment in an FLSA misclassification case.
- Successfully defended national retailer in age discrimination and retaliation arbitration.
Rate : $$$