Michael Civale concentrates primarily on mergers and acquisitions, private equity, securities transactions and general corporate matters. Mr. Civale represents private equity firms, public and private acquirers, and target companies in a variety of U.S. and cross-border acquisitions, dispositions, tender offers, spin-offs, initial public offerings and restructurings.
Mr. Civale has represented a wide variety of private equity sponsors supporting all aspects of their business activities including acquisitions, dispositions, initial public offerings, add-on investments and financing transactions.
In 2014, Mr. Civale was named by The M&A Advisor as one of the top 40 M&A professionals under the age of 40 in the United States. Mr. Civale is a member of the firm’s Client Engagement Committee. Mr. Civale has advised clients on numerous significant transactions, including:
- Burger King Holdings, Inc. in its $4 billion acquisition by 3G Capital Partners, a private equity firm, in a going-private transaction, which was honored as the “2010 Private Equity Deal of the Year” by International Financial Law Review;
- Bruce Sherman, as part of an investor group that includes Yankees legend Derek Jeter, in the pending $1.2 billion acquisition of the Miami Marlins Major League Baseball franchise from Jeffrey Loria. Upon the closing, Mr. Sherman will be chairman, principal owner and control person of the Marlins;
- Anbang Insurance Group Co., Ltd. as lead member of an investor group in its proposed, unsolicited $14 billion acquisition of Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide Inc. which, if completed, would have been the largest acquisition of a U.S. company by a Chinese buyer;
- Dover Corporation in the spin-off of Knowles Corporation, which has a market capitalization in excess of $2 billion and holds certain of Dover’s communication technologies businesses;
- American Standard Companies in the spin-off of its vehicle control systems business, WABCO, into a new publicly traded company, and in the $1.745 billion sale of its global bath and kitchen business to Bain Capital Partners LLC, a private equity firm;
- J.D., New York University School of Law, 2002
- B.S., Franklin & Marshall College, 1999
Admissions : New York
Rate : $$$