Michael Epstein is the head of Weil’s Technology & IP Transactions practice and is based in New York. Mr. Epstein’s practice involves transactions, litigation and counseling in all areas of intellectual property.
His transactional work includes structuring and negotiating technology and intellectual property acquisitions and dispositions, technology transfer and licensing arrangements, outsourcing transactions, and joint ventures and other targeted alliances.
He also has extensive experience with respect to commercial transactions such as supply and sourcing agreements, distribution and other marketing agreements, and services agreements, among others.
He has extensive intellectual property litigation experience as well, including handling technology-related disputes and litigations involving non-compete agreements and false advertising.
Mr. Epstein is active in community, philanthropic and public service matters. He has served on advisory panels to Congress and to the National Academy of Sciences, Institute of Medicine on intellectual property matters.
He is a Trustee of the Northwell Health System, the Feinstein Institute for Medical Research, Jewish Board of Family and Children’s Services and the Jonas Salk Foundation. He is a member of the Dean’s Advisory Council, College of Arts & Sciences, Lehigh University.
Selected Transactional Experience:
- American Securities in the $1.37 billion sale of Arizona Chemical Holdings Corporation.
- Array Biopharma, Inc., in its acquisition of the oncology drugs encorafenib and binimetinib from Novartis AG, and in the resolution of a dispute with Genentech, Inc.
- Brookfield Asset Management Inc. in its approximately $855 million acquisition of GrafTech International Ltd.
- Campbell Soup Company in its $6.1 billion acquisition of Snyder’s-Lance, Inc.
- Engility Holdings, Inc. in its approximately $1.3 billion stock-for-stock merger with TASC, Inc.
- Heartland Dental Care, LLC in the sale, by Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan and other existing shareholders, of a majority stake in Heartland to KKR & Co., with Ontario Teachers’ retaining a sizeable ownership stake.
- The Home Depot, Inc. in its acquisition of the assets of The Company Store Group, LLC.
- Reorg Research, Inc. (at the time, a portfolio company of Susquehanna Growth Equity) in its sale to Warburg Pincus.
- Sun Life Financial Inc. in its acquisition of Prime Advisors.
- Technology Crossover Ventures in its $250 million minority investment in Vice Media.
Mr. Epstein is a member of the American Bar Association: Litigation Section; Intellectual Property Law Section; and Section on Business Law and a member of the New York State Bar Association: Intellectual Property Law Section.
- Lehigh University (B.A., 1975)
- New York University School of Law (J.D., 1979)
- Eastern District New York
- New York State
- Southern District New York
Rate : $$$