Michael M. Agosta is an associate in the Commercial Litigation Practice Group in New York. Mike assists corporate and individual clients in an array of matters, including contract disputes, antitrust, False Claims Act, removal proceedings, violations of constitutional rights, and pro bono matters.
Mike also has significant experience in motion practice, written discovery, trial preparation, and day-to-day case management. Mike frequently participates in pro bono matters, in which he represents minors in removal proceedings before the U.S. Immigration Court.
He has also represented federal inmates in cases alleging violation of the inmate’s Constitutional rights. Prior to joining Venable, Mike was a litigation associate with a large AmLaw 100 firm.
- Representing a pharmaceutical development company defending a damages award won during a breach of contract action. On appeal, the Delaware Supreme Court upheld a $195 million award resulting from the defendant’s breach of a duty to negotiate in good faith.
- Defending a major financial institution in a False Claims Act action stemming from allegations that the institution made false statements in connection with seeking government loans. Obtained dismissal of the action in district court and an affirmance of that dismissal following an appeal by plaintiffs.
- Representing former shareholders of a start-up pharmaceutical development company bringing claims against a major pharmaceutical company for breach of a merger agreement.
- J.D. cum laude Fordham University School of Law 2012
- B.A. Journalism and History Rutgers University 2001
Bar Admissions : New York, New Jersey
Court Admissions :
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
Community : While in law school, Mike was a judicial intern to the Honorable Sherry Klein Heitler, Administrative Judge for Civil Matters in the 1st Judicial District of New York. He holds an undergraduate degree in journalism, and, prior to law school, Mike worked in the publishing industry, serving as editor or writer for numerous well-known publications, including Women’s Wear Daily.
Rate : $$$