Michael Donahue practices in the areas of construction law and litigation, including arbitration and alternative dispute resolution, public procurement law and the drafting of design and construction agreements.
Mr. Donahue has tried cases before state and federal courts, American Arbitration Association tribunals and administrative agencies involving diverse matters of contract performance, payment and bond claims, delay and disruption claims, claims against designers and enforcement of mechanic’s liens.
He has experience in Massachusetts public procurement laws, and has often served as a special assistant attorney general, representing the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, Massachusetts Highway Department and Division of Capital Asset Management in many litigations arising from defective design and construction work and public procurement issues. He sits as an arbitrator of construction disputes as a member of American Arbitration Association’s National Construction Roster of Neutrals.
- Defended international development and property-management firm against subcontractor mechanics’ lien claims arising from a corporate-campus project in Burlington, Mass.
- Provide advice on public procurement of design and construction services to the Massachusetts Development Finance Agency. Negotiate and draft contracts between MDFA and design and construction firms.
- Provided general public construction procurement advice to various Massachusetts public agencies.
- Represented the Massachusetts Turnpike Authority in nine cases against design firms seeking recovery for cost over-runs and defective design on the Central Artery/Tunnel Project.
- Represented national construction-management firm in litigation of a $9 million claim against the owner of a medical office, laboratory and clinical facility in Boston, Mass.
- Represented national construction-management firm in litigation of a claim for delay and disruption arising from the renovation of a residence hall at a university in Connecticut.
- Negotiated and drafted the design and construction contracts for the porte-cochere project at the Argosy Casino in Kansas City, Mo., for Penn National Gaming, Inc.
- Negotiated and drafted the design and construction contracts for a 150-room hotel in Charles Town, W.Va., for Penn National Gaming, Inc.
- Represented a city housing authority in the litigation and appeal of claims arising from environmental contamination of a housing project during the demolition phase of a major renovation.
- Negotiated and drafted the construction contract for the expansion of the first-class lounge and clubhouse of an international airline at Logan Airport, Boston, Mass.
- Represented millwork supplier/installer in connection with various claims for payment on projects in Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Vermont.
- Villanova University School of Law, J.D., 1989
- University of Dayton, B.A., 1986
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- American Bar Association
- Forum on the Construction Industry
- Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Public Law Council, 1997-2000
- Construction and Public Contract Committee
- National Association of Industrial and Office Properties
Rate : $$$$