Michael Bolotin is a partner and a member of the firm’s Tax Department. His practice focuses on private equity fund formation, targeting both foreign and domestic investors, real estate joint ventures, the formation of real estate investment trusts and equipment finance. Mr. Bolotin’s recent experience includes acting for clients such as Kelso & Company, Cerberus Capital Management, EIG Global Energy Partners, CVC Capital Management and Prudential Capital Partners.
Mr. Bolotin is recognized as a “Next Generation Leading Lawyer” for tax in The Legal 500 US (2018), where clients note that he is an “incredibly knowledgeable and practical go-to person on complex international tax matters.”
Mr. Bolotin advised on Chrysoar Holdings’ acquisition of a diversified North Sea oil and gas portfolio from Shell. This deal was named by the European Tax Awards as the “European Energy Tax Deal of the Year” (2018).
Mr. Bolotin joined Debevoise in 2004. He received his B.A. from Columbia University in 2001, and his J.D. magna cum laude from New York University in 2004, where he was inducted into the Order of the Coif. He is a member of the New York State Bar Association.
- Sirius Computer Solutions, a leading IT solutions integrator, and its majority owner, Kelso & Company, in the sale of a majority equity interest in Sirius to Clayton, Dubilier & Rice.
- Elliott Management in a $450 million equity rights offering of Roadrunner Transportation Systems, resulting in Elliott acquiring 90% of Roadrunner.
- Risk Strategies in its acquisition of Krauter & Company, a leading specialty firm focused on the risk and insurance needs of private equity firms and their portfolio companies nationwide.
- Citizens Financial Group in its agreement to purchase certain assets of Bowstring Advisors, an Atlanta-based merger and acquisition advisory firm.
- Canaccord Genuity Group on its acquisition of Petsky Prunier, a preeminent boutique M&A advisory firm.
- KeyBank in its acquisition of Laurel Road’s affinity-focused digital lending business.
4Refuel and its equityholders, including Kelso & Company and Penske Truck Leasing, in the sale of 4Refuel, the leading mobile on-site refueling company in Canada, to Finning International.
- Quarton International in its sale to Cowen.
- Tishman Speyer in the formation of Tishman Speyer European Real Estate Venture VIII, a €750 million European real estate fund.
- Kelso & Company in its sale of PowerTeam Services to Clayton, Dubilier & Rice.
- Risk Strategies, a Kelso & Company portfolio company, in its acquisition of Oxford Risk Management, an established leader in alternative risk and captive insurance and consulting.
- Citizens Financial in its acquisition of Franklin American Mortgage.
- A Japanese utility as a member of an investor group in the group’s acquisition of majority ownership interests in Kleen Energy Systems, LLC, which operates a 620-megawatt natural gas-fired power plant located in Middletown, Connecticut. As part of the transaction, an affiliate of Ares EIF will manage the Kleen Energy power plant on behalf of the investor group.
- Pitney Bowes in the sale of its global production mail business to Platinum Equity.
Cerberus Capital Management in its acquisition of Electrical Components International, the world’s leading manufacturer of wire harnesses, control boxes and value-added assembly services, from KPS Capital Partners.
- Cerberus Capital Management in its acquisition of Cyanco International, the largest global producer of sodium cyanide.
- PJSC Polyus and its indirect subsidiary Polyus Finance in the issue of $250 million senior bonds convertible into global depositary receipts representing ordinary shares of PJSC Polyus.
- PJSC Polyus and its indirect subsidiary Polyus Finance in the $500 million Eurobond offering of 4.70% guaranteed notes due 2024.
- HarbourVest Partners in its role as a lead investor in the restructuring of Eos Capital Partners III and Eos Capital Partners IV.
- Kelso & Company in its equity investment in Zenith Energy U.S.
- EIG Global Energy Partners in the formation of a joint venture with FS Investments to manage the $4 billion FS Energy and Power Fund.
- Cornell Capital as a leading investor in the $2.05 billion acquisition of Talcott Resolution, The Hartford’s run-off life and annuity businesses.
- CVC Capital Partners in its investment in Republic Finance, a consumer loan provider.
Bedrock Insurance in its proposed acquisition of Ashmere Insurance, a workers’ compensation specialty insurance company.
- Eagle Foods, a Kelso & Company portfolio company, in its acquisition of Popcorn, Indiana, a maker of ready-to-eat popcorn products.
- NLMK in its $500 million Eurobond offering of 4% notes due 2024, and a related tender offer for outstanding notes due 2018 and 2019 for the aggregate principal amount of $317 million.
- A U.S. private equity fund in a complex GP fund restructuring involving the establishment of a new fund to acquire assets.
- Paraline Group and ICAT in the sale of ICAT to the Schinnerer Group, a subsidiary of Marsh & McLennan Companies.
- Kelso & Company in its investment in Oasis Outsourcing, the nation’s largest privately held professional employer organization.
- Polyus in a public offering of shares and depositary receipts pursuant to Regulation S/Rule 144A and listing of depositary receipts on the LSE.
- Elliott Management in its $540 million redeemable preferred stock investment in Roadrunner Transportation Systems, a leading asset-right transportation and asset-light logistics service provider.
- Citizens Financial in its acquisition of Western Reserve Partners, a merger and acquisition advisory firm.
- Rockwood Capital in the formation of Rockwood Capital Real Estate Partners Fund X, a $1.1 billion U.S. real estate fund.
- Prudential Capital Partners in the formation of Prudential Capital Partners V, a $1.825 billion North America mezzanine fund.
- Kelso & Company in its investment in Premia Holdings, a newly-formed property and casualty insurance and reinsurance group focused on providing runoff solutions.
- Warner Music Group in a two–part refinancing transaction, including its offer and sale of $250 million 4.875% dollar-denominated senior secured notes due 2024 and an offering of €345 million 4.125% euro-denominated senior secured notes due 2024 and the retirement of $450 million of outstanding dollar-denominated senior notes and €157 million of euro-denominated senior notes.
- Reynolds Group Holdings in the issuance of $2.1 billion senior secured fixed and floating rate notes and $800 million senior notes.
- Kelso & Company in its acquisition of the J.M. Smucker Company’s U.S. canned milk brands and operations.
- Kelso & Company in its acquisition of Risk Strategies Company, a national insurance and benefits brokerage and risk management firm, from Kohlberg & Company.
- Fifth Third Bank in the sale of its Pennsylvania branch presence to First National Bank of Pennsylvania, and the sale of its Missouri branch presence to Great Southern Bank.
- Kelso & Company in its acquisition of Sirius Computer Solutions, a leading national IT solutions integrator.
- Spirit Airlines in its $576.6 million offering of EETCs secured by 15 Airbus aircraft, which was Spirit Airlines’ inaugural EETC offering.
- Kelso & Company in its acquisition of US LBM Holdings, a building products distributor, from BlackEagle Partners.
- UCI in the $257 million sale of its Wells vehicle electronics business to NGK Spark Plug Co.
- Marquis Energy in securing a $228 million loan from AgCountry Farm Credit Services, including a construction loan, term loan, revolver and refinancing of existing indebtedness.
- Tenaska Power Fund II in its $1.6 billion term loan to repay acquisition and project-level debt at seven electric generating facilities in the U.S. plus additional construction and term loan facilities, a transaction awarded the IJGlobal “2014 North American Portfolio Deal of the Year” award.
- MBIA in its sale of Cutwater Asset Management, an investment management company with $23 billion in assets under management, to BNY Mellon.
- JPMorgan Asset Management in a $1.5 billion equity transaction with national retail real estate investment company Edens Investment Trust.
- PSAV, a Kelso & Company portfolio company, in its acquisition by affiliates of Goldman Sachs.
- Kelso & Company in its acquisition of PowerTeam Services, a provider of infrastructure services to the gas and electric utility industry.
- Kelso & Company in its all-cash offer for EACOM Timber Corporation.
- Warner Music Group in its $765 million acquisition of the Parlophone Label Group (PLG) from Universal Music Group. (the sale of PLG was required by the European Commission as a condition to its approval of Universal acquiring sole control of the activities of EMI).
- New York University School of Law, 2004, J.D.
- Columbia University, 2001, B.A.
- New York
Rate : $$$