Michael J. Bowen is the chair of Akerman’s State and Local Tax Practice, a national team advising multistate clients on compliance, controversy, and litigation matters in all 50 states. He serves clients in the financial, automotive, manufacturing, retail, ecommerce, pharmaceutical, healthcare, energy, telecommunications, technology, and insurance sectors as well as professional athletes and high net worth individuals.
On behalf of companies such as Ford Motor Company, Skechers, Tyson Prepared Foods, Best Buy, DirecTV, Coinstar, and Expedia, Michael prosecutes and defends tax controversy and litigation matters across the United States at the audit, administrative, and judicial levels.
He litigates issues such as nexus, apportionment, sales tax refunds, and constitutional issues. Michael’s clients value his 50-state knowledge and his litigation experience, which include high stakes, precedent-setting cases.
Michael speaks and writes frequently on the evolving issues of tax in the technology, telecommunications, and ecommerce sectors.
- J.D., Boston University School of Law, 1999, Boston University International Law Journal, Articles Editor
- B.A., University of Rochester, Economics and Philosophy, 1996, magna cum laude
Bar Admissions : Florida; Massachusetts; Virginia
Court Admissions :
- U.S. Tax Court
- U.S. Supreme Court
- American Bar Association, Member
- Florida Bar Association, Member
- Virginia State Bar Association, Member
- Massachusetts State Bar Association, Member
Rate : $$$$