Michael B. Chavies is one of the most prolific and recognized trial lawyers in South Florida, having been lead counsel on and presided as a judge over hundreds of bench and jury trials. His 13 years on the civil bench has uniquely positioned him to try cases in nearly every courtroom, State and Federal, in Florida.
Recognized by Law360 in its “Minority Powerbroker” series for his leadership and influence in the legal community, Michael focuses on mentorship and professional development programs aimed at helping minorities advance their legal careers. To that end, he serves on Akerman’s Diversity & Inclusion Committee, where he assists in the recruitment and development of new lawyers.
In the community, Michael serves as president and chair of the Orange Bowl Committee Board of Directors, and served as a board member for Jobs for Miami.
- J.D., Rutgers University School of Law, 1974
- B.A., Rutgers University, 1971
Bar Admissions : Florida
Court Admissions :
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- American Bar Association, Member
- National Bar Association, Member
- Appellate Rules Committee, Member
- Ad Hoc Lawyer Regulation Committee, Member
- Judicial Independence Committee, Member
- Orange Bowl Committee, Board of Directors, President and Chair
- Jobs for Miami Program, Board Member
- Alzheimer’s Association, Past Board Member
- Coconut Grove Bank, Board of Directors
- The Bankers Club, Board of Directors
Rate : $$$