Michael F. Csar assists clients both in real estate investment, development and finance, and in general corporate and business matters. He also has a substantial practice in the representation of health care related, educational and nonprofit institutions. Michael also focuses on structuring and implementation of business entities and strategies.
Michael assists real estate clients with investment, project development and financing matters. His engagements have included:
- Counsel to equity partner in multi-tiered venture for the development and financing of a 500-unit luxury residential high-rise in downtown Chicago.
- Representation of developer in mixed-use office and residential high rise in downtown Chicago, with private subdivision of office and residential portions; negotiation and restructuring of cash flow and equity participation financing.
- Representation of principal owner/master developer in development of 40-acre mixed-use urban planned unit development, including design and drafting of master private development rights agreement, master private covenants and restrictions, and public/private arrangements for the establishment and control of public open areas.
- Representation of lead lender in the then largest single building financing in Chicago, both in the multi-party, tiered initial financing and in the subsequent equity and debt restructuring utilizing an innovative trust structure.
- Counsel to a publicly traded national REIT in acquisitions, contribution/exchange transactions, joint ventures and financings.
Michael has advised corporate clients in general business matters. His representative matters include:
- Special counsel to an international business consulting company, including with regard to the strategic reorganization of the company and international affiliates.
- General corporate counsel to offshore insurance company for association of professional service entities; representation of company in recapitalization and restructuring of arrangements with insureds.
- Representation of publicly traded professional services company in the development and administration of philanthropic and estate planning share transfer program during restricted period following initial public offering.
Michael has applied his business and real estate experience to the service of prominent health care, educational and not-for-profit institutions :
- Counsel to nationally prominent specialty care hospital in development of new million square foot hospital in downtown Chicago academic medical center.
- Counsel to not-for-profit hospital in development of a shared research center with the medical school of a private not-for-profit university.
- Counsel to a not-for-profit senior living facility company, with health-care related operations, including in joint ventures, ground leases, sales and acquisitions.
- Representation of state universities in development and financing of on-campus student housing projects in ground lease structure with private not-for profit developer and operator.
- Representation of Girl Scouts council in negotiation of amalgamation with other councils into largest council in the United States.
- Yale University, J.D., 1977
- Kings College, Cambridge University, M.A., 1974
- Yale University, B.A., 1972, summa cum laude
Bar Admissions : Illinois
Rate : $$$