Michael D. Karson is a trial lawyer in the Intellectual Property Litigation Practice Group in the Dallas office of Haynes and Boone. He has experience in intellectual property matters, including patent, trademark, copyright, and trade secret misappropriation cases involving a broad and diverse set of technologies that include mobile device management for wireless devices, wireless smart electricity metering, industrial cooling equipment, data communications including optical network communications, piston coatings for use in internal combustion engines, and LTE cellular communications and equipment, among others.
Mike has been part of numerous trial teams. Recently, he was part of a trial team that obtained a large jury verdict in a case in the United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas involving virtual reality technology and intellectual property. He also helped obtain judgment of non-infringement in a large patent case.
Mike also has experience in complex, multidistrict litigation matters. He was an integral member of the team that handled a large patent multidistrict litigation case.
In addition to his trial experience, Mike has also prepared cases for favorable resolution before trial. In that regard, he has extensive experience in all phases of pre-trial litigation including pre-suit investigations, fact and expert discovery, motion practice, and final pre-trial preparations. He has argued at Markman hearings in multiple jurisdictions and questioned both friendly and hostile witnesses at trial.
In addition to his law degree, Mike holds a B.S. in Electrical Engineering and an M.S. in Electrical and Computer Engineering.
Professional and Community Activities:
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE)
- J.D., John Marshall Law School, 2009, magna cum laude; Managing Editor, The John Marshall Review of Intellectual Property; National Winner, Giles Sutherland Rich Memorial Moot Court Competition, 2009; First Place, Dean Fred F. Herzog Moot Court Competition, 2008; Outstanding Advocate, National Criminal Justice Trial Advocacy Competition, 2008
- M.S., Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Iowa, 2006
- B.S., Electrical Engineering, University of Iowa, 2004
- Judicial Extern for The Honorable Joan B. Gottschall, U.S. District Judge, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, Spring 2009
- Judicial Extern for The Honorable John W. Darrah, U.S. Judge, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, Fall 2008
ADMISSIONS : Texas, Illinois, District of Columbia
COURT ADMISSIONS :
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
Rate : $$$