Michael Ruggio focuses his practice on healthcare fraud and abuse and civil false claims act investigations, healthcare litigation and healthcare regulatory matters with an emphasis on representing hospitals and other healthcare providers, including medical device and pharmaceutical corporations and their respective officers and directors, in matters relating to federal regulation and investigation.
He represents healthcare providers in general civil litigation matters as well. He has experience in healthcare antitrust matters, anti-kickback, Stark and HIPAA. He has been involved in numerous pharmaceutical, e-health technology, and bio-health cases concerning average wholesale pricing issues, reimbursement fraud, medical necessity and other related matters.
Mr. Ruggio represents medical device and pharmaceutical companies in civil litigation and FDA compliance. He has served as outside general counsel for the American Association of Health Freedom and Optimal Health, P.C. He also represents individuals and corporations in white collar and Foreign Corrupt Practices Act matters.
- University of Pittsburgh School of Law, JD, cum laude (1982)
- New York University, BS, Economics and Mathematics, magna cum laude (1978)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
Clerkships : The Honorable Hal J. Bonney, Jr., U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Virginia (1982 – 1983)
- Acted as lead trial counsel in one of the largest Medicare and Medicaid healthcare carrier case verdicts in the U.S.
- Defended a major healthcare system in a substantial case involving allegations of billing fraud. Case involved numerous qui tam matters filed in various district courts and involved the review of millions of documents, hundreds of depositions, numerous court hearings, pretrial motions, etc.
- Defended Department of Justice investigations for billing irregularity issues with regard to durable medical equipment groups, medical device manufacturers, and pharmaceutical companies. Prevailed in favorable settlements in numerous matters.
- Has defended hospitals and healthcare providers in government investigations
- Bar Association of the District of Columbia
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Association of Trial Lawyers of America
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
Rate : $$$