Michael D. Flanagan is a partner and business lawyer with Foley & Lardner LLP. His practice includes compliance counseling, auditing, due diligence and risk allocation in transactions, administrative proceedings and litigation.
He is the immediate past co-chair of the firm’s Food & Beverage Industry Team. A member of the firm’s Environmental Regulation Practice, Mike counsels and represents clients on environmental law, Food & Drug Administration (FDA) matters, and health and safety issues.
Mike represents a wide variety of manufacturing and commercial clients, and has developed particular experience in addressing regulatory issues impacting the food industry.
He assists numerous clients specializing in the processing, manufacturing, and distribution of food products on regulatory matters, including environmental permitting, waste disposal, product labeling, product recalls and reporting requirements, and OSHA compliance.
Mike received his undergraduate degree, summa cum laude, in 1980 from Marquette University and his law degree, cum laude, in 1983 from the University of Michigan.
From 1983 to 1984, he was a law clerk to the Honorable Sherman G. Finesilver, chief judge of the United States District Court for the District of Colorado.
Representative Matters :
- Foley represented Chr. Hansen AS in its 2016 acquisition of Guardian Food Technologies, LLC and Nutrition Physiology Holdings, LLC for $185 million.
- Represented purchaser of largest processor and distributor of North American, cold-water lobster.
- Represented and counseled a national food producer/food retailer (with more than1500 company-owned or franchise-operated retail outlets) in connection with the national recall of a food product.
- Representation of food manufacturer in connection with food regulatory aspects of ongoing acquisition of food production facilities and food ingredients operations.
- Served as principal counsel for the acquiror and coordinated the efforts of multijurisdictional team of lawyers in the acquisition and financing including counsel in Brazil, Spain, South Africa, Germany, Switzerland, Luxemborg and China.
- Provide ongoing regulatory compliance counseling on a wide range of issues including licensing, permitting, product labeling, nutrient content claims and related matters for food companying specializing in production and sale of gluten free meals.
Rate : $$$