Michael A. Gerstenzang is Cleary Gottlieb’s Managing Partner. Michael maintains an active practice focusing on private investment funds, including forming and advising private equity funds, credit funds, growth funds, special situations funds, infrastructure funds, venture capital funds, hedge funds, and other types of “alternative” investment vehicles.
His practice also includes secondary transactions and co-investment arrangements, as well as representing limited partners in connection with private investment funds. He has represented fund sponsors and investment teams in connection with negotiating “seed” investments, spin-outs, joint ventures, and other general partner/management company arrangements.
Michael regularly represents TPG, KKR, Blackstone, Coller Capital, and The Raine Group in fund formation and investment activities. He has also advised Viking Global, Victoria Capital Partners, RedBird Capital Partners, and Hillhouse in a variety of matters.
Michael joined the firm in 1992 and became a partner in 1999. He was elected Managing Partner in 2017. From 1994 through 1996, he was resident in the firm’s Brussels office.
- TPG in the formation of its private equity, special situations, growth, and other funds, and in numerous significant co-investment arrangements.
- KKR in the formation of its Asia and growth funds.
- Coller Capital in its investments.
- The Raine Group in the formation of its growth, venture, and hedge funds.
- Redbird Capital Partners in the formation of Redbird Capital Partners Fund I.
- Viking Global Investors in the formation of the Viking Global Opportunities fund platform.
- Victoria Capital Partners in the formation of its investment funds and in co-investment arrangements.
- Member, Private Investment Fund Forum
- Member, International Bar Association Subcommittee on Private Investment Funds, 2009-2014
- Member, Private Investment Funds Committee, New York City Bar Association, 2009-2012
- Columbia Law School, J.D., 1989
- Georgetown University, School of Foreign Service, B.S., 1986
- New York
- U.S. District Courts: Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
Rate : $$$