Michael J. Gill is an experienced litigator in high-profile civil and criminal matters. He has been trial counsel in more than 40 jury and bench trials in federal and state courts. He also regularly represents clients in arbitrations. In recent years, Mike has frequently called upon his broad range of experience to evaluate, through internal investigations, companies’ criminal, regulatory and civil exposures and advise them on risks and remedies.
Mike’s trial work emphasizes complex cases involving financial disputes, technology issues, contract breaches, and trust and estate disputes. He has tried cases arising from mergers & acquisitions, new technologies, bank fraud, financial services, construction projects, and purchases and sales of real estate and goods.
Mike also handles cases involving insurance and reinsurance, and has litigated these cases both in the courts and in arbitrations. Mike also served for many years as claims counsel for the Accountants’ Liability Assurance Company (a mutual insurance company incorporated in Bermuda).
- Northwestern University School of Law, JD, magna cum laude
- Northwestern University, BA
- Illinois Supreme Court
- US District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- US District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- US District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- US Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- Adjunct Professor, Government and Internal Investigations, Northwestern University School of Law
- Adjunct Professor of Trial Practice: Northwestern University School of Law, 1987 to date
- Best Lawyers in America – Commercial Litigation
- Illinois Super Lawyer – Business Litigation
- Standard Chartered Bank v. FDIC. Judgment in favor of SCB for the full amount of its loss in a fraudulent international wire transfer scheme.
- Ross Computer Systems v. Norand Corporation. Defended Norand Corporation in a lawsuit alleging breach of a computer reseller agreement, resulting in a nominal damages award.
- Tenneco Automotive Inc. and Pactiv Corporation v El Paso Corp. and Lloyds. A Delaware Chancery Court preserving the historical property and casualty insurance coverage of Tenneco and Pactiv.
- The Central National Insurance Company of Omaha v. The Greyhound Corporation. A suit on behalf of Central National to enforce Greyhound’s guarantee of its subsidiary’s reinsurance obligations to Central National, resulting in a substantial settlement for our client after trial.
- Alliance Insurance Company v. Certain London Reinsurers. Alliance was awarded the full amount of its claim plus interest in an arbitration against its reinsurers.
- Negotiated a settlement for BNSF with its insurers with respect to its historic environmental liabilities across the United States.
- Successfully defended a lawsuit by the City of Milwaukee seeking to enjoin AT&T’s launch of U verse television in Wisconsin.
- Resolved without penalty an SEC investigation with respect to United Stationers’ sales practices in Canada.
Rate : $$$