Michael J. Gillespie is a corporate partner who advises senior management and boards of companies and investors acting throughout the world, including the United States, Latin America, Asia, India, Russia and various other jurisdictions and regions. Over three decades, Mr. Gillespie has served as trusted advisor to some of the largest companies and groups globally. His work has covered a broad span, from M&A and other strategic transactions to critical governance, compliance and risk management issues.
He has served on the firm’s Management Committee and is a senior member of the M&A, TMT, and Latin America groups, among others. Mr. Gillespie is also co-head of Diversity & Inclusion at the firm. Mr. Gillespie is ranked in the top tier by Chambers USA, where he is described as “well known and eminent,” “diligent, client-focused and thoughtful about business needs.”
Chambers sources also saw he is “a wise and insightful adviser, a tenacious advocate and a results-oriented deal lawyer.” He is listed in The Legal 500 US as a “senior statesman” in the media and telecoms sector and is recommended as a leading lawyer for Latin American investment by Chambers USA, where he has been lauded as a “superb negotiator” who “possesses experience and strong background on Brazilian-related deals.”
He is also mentioned in Chambers Global as “a great negotiator with rock-solid legal knowledge.” Mr. Gillespie joined Debevoise as an associate in 1986 and became a partner in 1995. He received a B.A. summa cum laude from Amherst College in 1982 and his J.D. from Harvard Law School in 1986.
- Grupo Globo and its shareholding family for over three decades on strategic transactions, corporate governance and shareholding arrangements.
- Toyota Motor Corporation and affiliates globally over more than a decade in connection with various complex strategic transactions and litigation and regulatory matters.
- Time Inc. in its $2.8 billion sale to Meredith.
- Members of Eike Batista’s EBX group in Brazil relating to restructuring of debt and new financing matters.
- adidas AG on various complex transactions and certain other matters.
- The D. E. Shaw Group, a global investment and technology development firm, over more than a decade in connection various M&A transactions and other strategic matters.
- A family holding company based in New York for over a decade on sensitive matters relating to family assets and arrangements.
- Independent directors of News Corporation in allegations relating to phone-hacking in the United Kingdom.
- The Jim Henson Company and its shareholding family for over two decades on various strategic matters.
- Harvard Law School, 1986, J.D.
- Amherst College, 1982, A.B.
- New York
Rate : $$$$