Michael I. Goldberg is chair of Akerman’s Fraud and Recovery Practice, an experienced team of lawyers focused on unraveling high-profile investor fraud, including Ponzi schemes, receiverships, and EB-5 Immigrant Investor Visa Program wrongdoing. Michael has managed some of the largest Ponzi scheme liquidation recoveries in U.S. history. More recently he has developed a reputation for his work unraveling EB-5 fraud schemes.
He’s got a keen business mind and can forge consensus in seemingly irreconcilable disputes.” He previously was a partner in and served as chair of Akerman’s Bankruptcy and Restructuring Practice Group.
As a qualified expert witness on Ponzi schemes, he is highly sought after and routinely testifies in federal and state court cases throughout the country and internationally. Michael has served as court-appointed receiver in many of his cases over the past two decades, helping victims maximize potential returns by identifying, securing, and monetizing potential assets as quickly and efficiently as possible.
Regarded as a thought leader on fraud, Michael has appeared on CNN, CNBC, Fox News, and National Public Radio to discuss Ponzi schemes and receiverships. He has also been quoted in Bloomberg, Forbes, The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, The American Lawyer, The Miami Herald, Sun Sentinel, and numerous other publications. Michael regularly lectures on receiverships, Ponzi schemes and EB-5 fraud to regulators and various legal groups throughout the country.
- J.D., Boston University, 1990, magna cum laude
- M.B.A., New York University, 1987
- B.A., Boston University, History, 1985
Bar Admissions : Florida; New York
Court Admissions :
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
- The Florida Bar, Member
- Broward County Bar Association, Member
- New York State Bar Association, Member
- Bankruptcy Bar Association of the Southern District of Florida, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- Families Against Cult Teachings, Legal Advisor
- Nova University School of Law, Board of Trustees, 2012-2014
- FBI Citizens Academy Graduate, 2008
Rate : $$$