Michael L. Hecht is a skilled litigator, representing clients at the state and federal levels in national and international product liability and mass tort litigation, where his focus on complex medical, scientific, and regulatory issues is a critical asset.
In addition to pharmaceutical litigation, Michael’s practice also includes other product litigation, complex commercial and construction litigation, premises liability, negligence actions, and business torts. He also assists clients with risk management issues outside the context of litigation, and with domestic, criminal, and civil rights matters.
Michael has participated in and managed every aspect of trial preparation. He is often asked to manage and lead expert development and company case analysis. In this capacity, Michael routinely works with external experts and in-house scientific and medical departments to understand the critical issues in the litigation and craft winning strategies for his clients.
Michael is a key part of one of the most active and respected product liability practices in the United States, a group that has been the recent recipient of the coveted Chambers USA Client Service Award. Michael has represented clients at hearings, taken and defended numerous fact and expert depositions, and prepared witnesses for testimony.
He has developed considerable knowledge in the areas of pharmaceutical manufacturing, endocrinology, bone biology and metabolism, metabolic bone disease and related conditions, oral surgery and dentistry, and orthopedic surgery and biomechanics.
Michael has served on Venable’s Hiring Committee and as a mentor in the firm’s summer associate program on multiple occasions.
- Served as a member of the science and expert team for an international pharmaceutical defendant in product liability litigation involving allegations of birth defects
- Conducted Science Day for an international pharmaceutical defendant in a California Judicial Council Coordinated Proceeding of more than 650 individual lawsuits involving prescription osteoporosis medication and allegations of atypical femur fracture
- Served as a member of eight trial teams for an international pharmaceutical defendant in multiple jurisdictions (MDL in the Southern District of New York and mass tort litigation in Atlantic County, NJ), in lawsuits involving prescription osteoporosis medication and allegations of osteonecrosis of the jaw, resulting in six defense verdicts and one hung jury
- Served as a member of the science and expert team for an international pharmaceutical defendant in product liability litigation involving allegations of osteonecrosis of the jaw, including expert witness development and preparation, taking and defending expert depositions, attending scientific conferences, and analyzing developing scientific issues
- Served as second chair in a wrongful death trial in Prince George’s County, Maryland, involving a negligence action for a commercial carrier, resulting in a defense jury verdict
- Safeguarded a pharmaceutical client’s trade secrets in submissions to the Food and Drug Administration for Vaccine Court proceedings
- Served as a member of the science team for an international pharmaceutical defendant in product liability litigation involving allegations of autism, including responsibility for preparation of manufacturing witnesses for deposition.
- J.D.with honorsUniversity of Maryland School of Law1999
- B.A.magna cum laudeMount Saint Mary’s College1996
Bar Admissions : Maryland
Court Admissions :
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
Professional Memberships :
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Defense Research Institute
- Member, Maryland Defense Counsel
- Actively involved in a variety of pro bono matters, primarily in the areas of contract, civil rights, domestic, and criminal law
- Working with Disability Rights of Maryland to investigate the state of Maryland’s use of solitary confinement conditions on inmates with serious mental illness
- Achieved a favorable bench verdict in a 10-count civil contempt lawsuit in Baltimore City Circuit Court following a two-day evidentiary hearing
- Achieved victories in the U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims, the Board of Veterans Appeals, and the Veterans Administration Regional Office for a disabled veteran, concerning his disability benefit entitlement
- Achieved favorable results for a federal pre-sentencing detainee receiving inadequate medical care, including primary medical expert development and examination, in motions practice in federal court
Rate : $$$$