Michael S. Horikawa handles all aspects of patent, copyright, and trademark law, focusing on computer-related technologies, consumer electronics and biomedical devices. Michael is a counsel in the law firm’s Intellectual Property practice and is located in the Los Angeles office.
His experience includes representing clients in patent and other IP litigation in Federal District Court and at the International Trade Commission, and in alternative dispute resolution proceedings, often involving numerous parties and a multitude of patents.
REPRESENTATIVE EXPERIENCE :
- Represented petitioner Medtronic in three inter partes review proceedings in which all challenged claims to a “Percutaneous Aortic Valve Replacement” were found unpatentable by the Patent Trial and Appeal Board, a ruling the Federal Circuit affirmed on appeal.
- Represented Pixar in defending suit for infringement of patent on a “Method for Deriving Pixel Color Using Steradians” asserted against 3D rendering software used in creating animated 3D movies, in which the Court granted Pixar’s motion to dismiss on ground patent claimed patent-ineligible subject matter.
- Represented petitioner MasterImage 3D in an inter partes review proceeding in which all challenged claims to a “Polarization Conversion Systems for Stereoscopic Projection” were found unpatentable.
- Represented ABC Inc. (d/b/a Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures) in defending suit for infringement of patent on “Personalized Digital Media Access System” asserted against online digital rights management systems for movies and other digital content.
- Represented a global mass media corporation in defense of copyright infringement claims involving a music album.
Associations : USC Gould School of Law Intellectual Property Institute (Planning Committee Member, 2015 – 2017), Japanese American Bar Association, Japan America Society of Southern California
Clerkships : Law Clerk for the Intellectual Property Unit, General Counsel Division, Los Angeles City Attorney’s Office
- J.D., Loyola Law School, Los Angeles, 2009
- M.S.E., University of Michigan, 2006
- B.S., University of California, Berkeley, 2003
ADMISSIONS : California
Rate : $$$$