Michael A. Howes’ practice is focused on representing lenders and landlords in commercial real estate matters. He has experience preparing and reviewing commercial loan documents for acquisition loans, construction loans, and permanent financing.
Mike conducts loan diligence by reviewing title issues, zoning and land use issues, and condominium documents. Mike also has experience in a broad range of bankruptcy and creditors’ rights matters, and has assisted secured lenders with troubled loan workouts, foreclosures, and Chapter 7 and 11 bankruptcy cases.
Representative Matters :
- Represented a lender in a $19.4 million construction credit facility to an assisted living provider.
- Represented a lender in the refinancing of an existing $20 million term loan to an assisted living provider involving the purchase of 3 additional skilled nursing facilities.
- Represented a lender in the modification of an existing construction credit facility to increase its amount to $25 million to finance an additional phase of construction.
- Represented a mezzanine lender in a $11.5 million construction credit facility to a multi-family housing developer.
- Represented lenders and investment groups in commercial foreclosures throughout Virginia and the District of Columbia and dealt with pre and post-foreclosure issues related to title defects, sale validity, lien priority, and bankruptcy filings.
- Represented commercial landlords in all phases of the leasing process, including both transactional experience and litigation in state court eviction proceedings and large Chapter 11 cases.
Professional and Community Involvement :
- Walter Chandler American Inn of Court
- Fairfax Bar Association
- University of Virginia School of Law, J.D., 2010
- University of Virginia, B.A., with distinction, 2007
COURT ADMISSIONS :
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Virginia
BAR ADMISSIONS : Virginia, District of Columbia, Maryland
Rate : $$$