Michael Bittman is board certified as a specialist in Health Law. He has experience representing clients in the healthcare industry, including hospitals, nursing homes, managed care companies, pharmacies, medical equipment suppliers, home health agencies, and physicians.
He has been lead trial counsel in a number of federal, state, and administrative health law cases and represents clients in healthcare fraud investigations, qui tam or whistleblower cases, contract disputes, health insurance claims, malpractice, and medical staff disputes.
In addition to his litigation experience, Mr. Bittman has served as outside general counsel for hospitals and other healthcare entities and represents parties in healthcare transactions, including the drafting of purchase and sale contracts, leases, management agreements, letters of intent, and other documents.
He is well versed in federal and state fraud and abuse laws and provides advice and recommendations to clients regarding their compliance and risk reduction.
Mr. Bittman is a frequent presenter on issues related to health law, such as false claims, Medicare and Medicaid, health facility operations, governance, medical records, health insurance, ERISA, managed care liability, peer review, and fraud and abuse.
- The Catholic University of America Columbus School of Law, JD (1982)
- Georgetown University, BSBA, Business and Accounting (1979)
- District of Columbia
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- Regularly conducts internal investigations into potential overpayments, and advises health care clients on strategies to minimize legal risks, including self-disclosure and making refunds to payers.
- Represents health care clients in government investigations and in qui tam actions filed under the federal and Florida False Claims Acts.
- Led the team representing the West Orange Healthcare District in its 2012 sale to Orlando Health, Inc. for $181,000,000.
- Represents hospitals and physicians in contested peer review proceedings and litigation.
- Past Chair, The Florida Bar Health Law Section
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, American Health Lawyers Association
Rate : $$$