Michael Shuman’s practice includes a wide range of business litigation, with an emphasis on construction-related matters. He has extensive experience with representing owners/developers during all phases of development and has represented residential condominium and community developers such as The Related Group and Lennar as well as ownership groups such as that of the Fontainebleau Resort Hotel and the (now) Hard Rock Stadium.
He also represents national financial institutions, national telecommunications companies, investment groups, partnerships, contractors, and small business owners in both construction and non-construction-related matters.
- Representation of South Florida Stadium LLC, the home of the Miami Dolphins, against subcontractor’s claim for additional $110 million in connection with contractor’s construction of stadium’s canopy roof.
- Representation of the developer of Hollywood Beach’s “Trump Condominium” in multi-million dollar construction defect lawsuit concerning the design and construction of Trump Condominium.
- Successful representation of National Construction Services, Inc., a specialty emergency services construction contractor client, in suing general contractor for non-payment on summary judgment – ultimately, after obtaining final judgment, recovering all money owed to National, including interest.
- Represented Fontainebleau Resort Hotel seeking delay damages against architectural and other design professionals in connection with the $500 million renovation of the historic hotel.
- Represented Fontainebleau Resort Hotel in resolving over 65 complex contractor lien lawsuits totaling $80 million in connection with successful out-of-court restructuring $850 million debt to avoid bankruptcy; and assist with closing of said restructuring.
- Successful representation of AT&T to prosecute claim seeking declaratory, injunctive, and other relief against two condominium homeowner associations blocking access to AT&T’s easement.
- Successful prosecution of trademark infringement action before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board cancelling competing mark.
- Successful defense and resolution of breach of contract case against medical facility through threatened misappropriation of intellectual property counterclaim.
- Successful resolution of federal multi-district class action litigation brought by managed care providers against client Blue Cross Blue Shield Association.
- Member of litigation team that represented client class in contract-based class action against Exxon Corp. resulting in $1 billion recovery.
- University of Miami School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2005
- Tulane University, B.A., 2001
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- The Florida Bar
- Florida Bankruptcy Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
Rate : $$$