J. Michael Jakes concentrates his practice on patent litigation and related counseling. He serves as lead counsel in federal district courts and the U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC), before arbitration panels, and on appeal to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
Mike deals mainly with computer, electronics, semiconductor, software, and medical device technologies. Mike has vast experience at the Federal Circuit, having argued more than 45 appeals and prepared and filed briefs in many more.
He served as a law clerk to the Honorable Giles S. Rich at the Federal Circuit. He is a coauthor of Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit: Practice & Procedure, published by LexisNexis. He was also a member of the Federal Circuit’s Advisory Council and previously led the firms appellate section.
Mike has been described in Chambers USA as “one of the most talented patent lawyers out there,” “an exceptionally talented litigator who is picked by clients when hundreds of millions are at stake,” and “one of the premier appellate litigators for cases involving electronics and medical devices.”
Mike has been recognized as a leading patent litigator in the D.C. area and nationally before the Federal Circuit by Intellectual Asset Managementand was named one of the top ten business litigators in D.C. by Legal Times. He has ranked among top U.S. patent lawyers in Legal Media Group’s Guide to the World’s Leading Patent Law Practitionerssince 2015.
Mike has served as both a special master and technical advisor to various U.S. district courts, assisting with claim construction and summary judgment motions on patents covering a wide variety of subjects. He is also a trained mediator, having completed the American Arbitration Association’s mediator training course.
- Georgetown University Law Center J.D., magna cum laude, 1986
- Johns Hopkins University M.S., Computer Science, 1983
- Duke University B.S., Electrical Engineering, summa cum laude, with distinction, 1979
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit, Hon. Giles S. Rich
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court, E.D. Texas
- U.S. District Court, E.D. Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Professional Activities :
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit (Advisory Council, 2008-2012)
- Intellectual Property Owners Association (Amicus Committee, 2011-present)
- American Bar Association, Intellectual Property Law Section (chair, Antitrust Committee, 1998-1999; chair, Amicus Briefs Committee, 1995-1998; member, 2009-present)
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA) (National Director, Giles S. Rich Moot Court Competition, 1989-1991; chair, Awards Committee, 1992-1994; Special Committee on Patent Jury Trials, 1995-1997; Amicus Committee, 1997-2001; Amicus Committee, 2005-2009)
Rate : $$$$