Michael P. Kelly defends companies and individuals in criminal and civil enforcement actions covering a wide variety of issues. He has helped clients respond to allegations concerning the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, money laundering, health care fraud, sanctions, tax fraud, accounting fraud, government contracting fraud, mail fraud, false statements, conspiracy, and food safety.
Mike also advises boards of directors and audit committees on the most effective ways to respond to allegations of illegal conduct, and conducts independent investigations on their behalf.
Mike works with Fortune 500 and mid-market companies to improve compliance programs in order to prevent legal violations and to achieve more effective corporate governance. Using his experience in government enforcement actions to anticipate potential problems in compliance programs, he focuses on providing practical and effective advice that can be implemented by companies in a reasonable way.
Mike also represents companies and individuals in civil enforcement actions, whether brought by government agencies like the Securities and Exchange Commission or by private plaintiffs.
Mike often represents companies and individuals in securities class actions, consumer class actions, and other forms of complex litigation. Before joining Akerman, Mike was a partner in the Washington, D.C. office of an AmLaw10 firm.
- J.D., Duke University School of Law, 1999
- B.A., University of Notre Dame, 1996
Bar Admissions : District of Columbia; New York; Virginia
Court Admissions :
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court, District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Western District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia
Professional Experience :
- Law Clerk, U.S. District Judge Ewing Werlein, Jr, U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas
Rate : $$$