Clients turn to Michael Klebanov for high-stakes class action defense and appellate litigation. With his expertise in bet-the-company class actions, he defends a variety of challenges to companies’ practices and products, including claims based on breach of contract, warranties, product mislabeling and misrepresentation, deceptive trade practices, negligence, RICO and securities violations. Michael also has multidistrict litigation (MDL) experience.
Michael is an experienced appellate attorney and has successfully handled appeals in a variety of cases, including class actions, product defect claims, tort liability and breach of warranties. He has briefed cases in state and federal courts throughout the country and often consults with trial attorneys during trial preparation or the trial itself.
Whenever possible, Michael works toward disposing of cases early on through case-critical dispositive motions, and has obtained dismissals in complex commercial cases. Clients seek Michael’s advice regarding claims across the spectrum of business operations, ranging from advertising and marketing practices to disputes with suppliers.
Before joining the firm, Michael was an associate in the New York office of Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP. Prior to his work at Skadden, Michael clerked for the Hon. Joseph L. Tauro, U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts.
- Assisted in obtaining dismissal of case against client, a leader in designing, manufacturing and retailing home furnishings, in a matter involving requests of personal information under the Song-Beverly Consumer Warranty Act.
- Successfully defended a Fortune 500 manufacturer of commercial and consumer goods in a putative class action against allegations of a product defect, helping secure an early dismissal.
- Part of a team that obtained dismissal of a putative class action lawsuit against former subsidiary of large financial institution where plaintiffs had alleged fraud, insufficient loan loss reserves and violations of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
- Secured summary judgment for provider of educational services, defeating plaintiff’s claims of educational malpractice and deceptive trade practices.
- Favorably defended large financial institution against claims of securities fraud.
Community Leadership : Columbia University, Alumni Representative Committee
- J.D., Cornell Law School
- B.A., Columbia University
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court, District of Maryland
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. Court of International Trade
Clerkships : The Hon. Joseph L. Tauro, U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts
Rate : $$$