Michael L. Meyer has provided comprehensive counsel and support to clients seeking innovative, targeted solutions to pressing and complex business issues.
Mike has served as counsel to numerous open- and closed-end public and private investment companies, and to investment advisers serving public and private investment companies. He regularly advises securities exchanges, securities information processors, and broker-dealers.
He has been involved in a wide variety of financial transactions, including more than 30 financings of public companies and a large number of private offerings of secured and unsecured debt and equity securities.
Mike has represented issuers, underwriters and purchasers/lenders in these transactions, and has been responsible for negotiating the terms of the financings and drafting the related documentation.
- Mike currently serves as counsel to the independent directors of a large complex of investment companies.
- He has counseled investment companies and investment advisors in such matters as:
- Fund organization and share offerings
- Renewal of management contracts
- Fund mergers and reorganizations
- Change of control of advisers
- Requesting and obtaining exemptions and no-action letters from the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) under the Investment Company Act of 1940
- Counseling the funds and their independent directors
- For more than 35 years, Mike has represented the Chicago Board Options Exchange, beginning with the effort to obtain the regulatory approvals necessary for it to commence operation under federal and state securities laws, and continuing to the demutualization of that Exchange and its IPO in 2010.
- Mike has represented other securities exchanges, both domestic and foreign, in a range of matters under U.S. securities laws, and has represented exchange specialists and their broker-dealers. He also represents a major securities information processor.
- Harvard Law School, LL.B., 1965
- Princeton University, A.B., 1962
- American Bar Association, Section of Business Law, Federal Regulation of Securities Committee, Market Regulation Subcommittee, Investment Companies and Investment, Advisers Committee
Rate : $$$