Michael Morkin is the former managing partner of the Chicago office and a recognized practitioner in international arbitration and reinsurance matters. Having successfully managed a significant business to record headcount, brand recognition, revenue and profit, Mr. Morkin brings this unique commercial understanding to his already successful track record as counsel.
Mike’s extensive experience and expertise has resulted in arbitration awards valued in excess of USD 1 billion, as well as industry recognition including 40 Under Forty Hall of Fame and two Chicago International Arbitration Lawyer of the Year awards. Mike teaches at the University of Chicago Law School, and is an author and frequent lecturer throughout the US, Europe and Asia.
Mike has handled arbitrations in Asia, Latin America, Europe, the Caribbean and throughout the US, under the rules of institutions including the ICC, ICDR, SIAC, UNCITRAL, AAA, London Maritime Arbitrators Association and numerous ad hoc arbitrations.
He has successfully arbitrated disputes in reinsurance, health care, pharma, energy, shipping, post-acquisition, intellectual property, derivatives and other commercial arrangements.
- University of Illinois College of Law (J.D. magna cum laude, Order of the Coif) (1990)
- Augustana College (A.B. cum laude) (1987)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois~United States (1990)
- Illinois~United States (1990)
Representative Legal Matters:
- Successful defense of pool of six global reinsurance companies in USD 28 million ad hoc reinsurance arbitration, and obtained partial rescission on counterclaim worth in excess of USD 90 million.
- Successful defense (and recovery on USD 5 million counterclaim) of a state-owned company in ICC arbitration pending in Taiwan, relating to a USD 450 million supply contract to construct a power plant.
- Successful defense of a Chinese airline in a USD 65 million ICC arbitration brought by a German aircraft manufacturer for breach of contract, plus recovery of USD 2.5 million counterclaim and costs.
- Successful defense of a USD 44 million ICC arbitration in Switzerland alleging breaches of joint development and patent license agreements involving elastomer technology.
- Successfully represented a Taiwanese charterer in a USD 185 million London maritime arbitration brought by a Chinese ship owner, involving attachment of bank accounts in New York and attempted seizure of vessels in Australia, Brazil, Iraq, UAE, Singapore and Hong Kong (settled on very favorable business terms).
Rate : $$$