Michael M. Lauter is a partner in the Finance and Bankruptcy Practice Group in the firm’s San Francisco Office. Mr. Lauter specializes in bankruptcy, creditor’s rights, receiverships, workouts and foreclosures.
His practice includes representing debtors, creditors and committees in bankruptcy, representing lenders and special servicers in workouts, foreclosures and receiverships, and representing state and federal court receivers. Mr. Lauter also has significant experience representing lenders in real estate and asset based financings, and representing buyers in real estate purchases and sales.
- J.D., University of Chicago Law School, 2006
- B.A., University of California, Berkeley, 2001, Phi Beta Kappa, departmental highest honors
- United States District Court for the Northern, Southern, Central, and Eastern Districts of California
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- Represented the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors of Pacific Steel Casting Company and Berkeley Properties, LLC.
- Represented the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors of William James “Boots” Del Biaggio, III in negotiating a sale of the estate’s preferred interest in a NHL franchise, confirming a plan of liquidation, and disallowing and subordinating over $100 million in asserted claims against the estate.
- Represented the secured lender in the appointment of a receiver who marketed and facilitated the sale of a 129 unit condominium complex in Roseville, CA.
- Represented the primary secured lender in the bankruptcy of Golden Gate Community Health, f/k/a Planned Parenthood Golden Gate.
- Represented a state court receiver in the partial completion and unit-by-unit sale of a residential subdivision in King City, CA.
- Represented Humboldt Creamery, LLC as a chapter 11 debtor in selling its operating business under Bankruptcy Code section 363 and confirming a plan of liquidation thereafter.
- Represented the purchaser of a 76 unit residential apartment building in downtown Los Angeles, CA in connection with said purchase.
- Represented a special servicer of loans in connection with several foreclosures, guaranty actions, and related matters in connection with a portfolio of defaulted California real estate secured loans.
- Conference Co-Chair, California Bankruptcy Forum (2017)
- Education Co-Chair, California Bankruptcy Forum (2015, 2016)
- Program Book Chair, California Bankruptcy Forum (2012)
- Session Producer, California Bankruptcy Forum (2011, 2013)
- Member, Bench-Bar Liaison Committee for the United States Bankruptcy Court, Northern District of California (2014 – Present)
- Co-Chair, Bench-Bar Liaison Committee for the United States Bankruptcy Court, Northern District of California (2015 – 2016)
- Conference Chair of the Bay Area Bankruptcy Judges’ Conference (2017)
- Member, Insolvency Law Committee of the California State Bar Association
- Board Member, Bay Area Chapter of the California Receiver’s Forum (2013 – Present)
- President, Bay Area Chapter of the California Receiver’s Forum (Current)
Rate : $$$$