Michael Smith, shareholder in the Firm’s Tax Department and Mergers & Acquisitions Group, enables entrepreneurs and small to midsize companies to create revenue while minimizing tax consequences.
Mr. Smith also advises his clients in securities law, mergers and acquisitions, business transactions, like-kind exchanges and estate planning, providing a “full service” approach to domestic and international businesses and individuals for more than 20 years.
- McGeorge School of Law, University of the Pacific, J.D., 1983
- California State University, School of Business (Accounting), at Long Beach, B.S., 1978
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Colorado
- Created numerous corporations, partnerships and limited liability companies; prepared business plans; private placements of securities; advised boards of directors and assisted with IPOs, and 34 Securities Exchange Act compliance; prepared and issued several tax opinions; managed several simultaneous legal projects with associates and partners in the law firm.
- Advised numerous clients on many real estate tax-free exchange deals saving millions in taxes.
- Negotiated numerous contracts including technology licenses, distribution and marketing agreements
- Negotiated and successfully closed numerous merger, sale and acquisition transactions for public and private companies, including telecom companies; jet engine parts manufacturer; computer systems integration business; and cable SMATV business.
- Successfully prepared/secured revolving credit lines, SBA loans and other credit facilities ranging up to $50 million.
- Structured deal for sale of company with $12 million revenue for $43.5 million cash (client wanted $20 million).
- Advised several small technology and computer companies (ranging to $20 million) as outside general counsel, including several computer and telecommunication companies, and one health care technology public company.
Professional Honors & Activities:
- Member – Business Advisory Board, Southern Polytechnic State University, School of Engineering Technology and Management (Assisted Business Department in completing curriculum assessment for accreditation review in 2011 for five degree programs)
- Member – Georgia Association of Certified Public Accountants
- Member – American Bar Association
- Former Adjunct Faculty for 6 years, School of Business, California State University, Sacramento, California. Courses taught: financial accounting; management accounting; international accounting; corporate tax
Rate : $$$