With a dedication to the energy and technology sectors, Michael P. Malfettone strives to make a positive impact for clients, the environment and the community. Mike’s practice as a corporate and transactional attorney focuses on the energy sector, particularly renewable power, and the technology sector.
His work encompasses all aspects of the acquisition, development and financing of wind, solar, and oil and gas projects throughout the country. Mike works closely with our energy clients to ensure an efficient and effective deal process, regularly preparing and negotiating the principal transaction agreements and leading efforts on a wide variety of other corporate and transactional issues.
Mike’s corporate expertise and keen insight into the complex energy sector is built on prior experiences working as a financial analyst at a major Wall Street bank and handling matters relevant to the energy industry while clerking for the U.S. Department of Justice, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and Arizona Attorney General’s Office.
In addition to his energy transactional work, Mike’s corporate practice involves counseling early-stage and emerging growth companies, particularly in the technology sector, through all stages of their business lifecycle.
Clients turn to him to assist with matters related to corporate formation and day-to-day governance, business structuring, equity and debt financing, mergers and acquisitions, executive compensation and other strategic transactions and long-term strategies.
Mike strives to provide efficient and streamlined services to reduce costs for clients, while partnering with them to help deliver positive results and achieve their objectives.
- Represented Algonquin Power Co. in the tax equity financing of a 20 megawatt solar energy facility in California.
- Represented Algonquin Power Co. in development and financing of 150-megawatt Deerfield Wind Project in Michigan.
- Represented Algonquin Power in the acquisition, development and financing of the 200 megawatt Odell Wind Farm in Minnesota.
- Represented clients in multiple acquisitions of advanced development-stage wind and solar energy power generation projects.
- Represented Crestwood Equity Partners in $2 billion joint venture for ownership and development of natural gas pipeline and storage business in New York and Pennsylvania.
- Represented Crestwood Equity Partners in $321 million asset contribution and capital investment in existing joint venture to expand the joint venture’s midstream natural gas assets and infrastructure in Texas and New Mexico
Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO), a method of providing oxygen to the body when the lungs and/or heart are not able to function properly on their own, helped save his best friend’s life after he had a heart attack at the age of 27. As a result, Mike helped his friend launch Hearts of ECMO, a non-profit organization geared toward raising funds to increase awareness and implementation of this life-saving technology and treatment.
- J.D., University of Arizona College of Law
- B.A., Columbia University
Admissions : Texas, District of Columbia
Professional Associations and Memberships : American Bar Association.
Rate : $$$$