Michael L. Mallow is a highly experienced trial lawyer who has represented clients in class action and complex litigation matters, including cases related to economic product defects, unfair competition, false and deceptive advertising, business torts, privacy, entertainment and intellectual property.
He has defended consumer protection actions and investigation initiated by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the U.S. Department of Justice, the Consumer Product Safety Commission and the Federal Communications Commission, as well as numerous state enforcement agencies.
For nearly 20 years, Michael has been at the forefront of representing clients in significant consumer protection matters, including:
- defending the first enforcement action prosecuted by FTC related to the National Do Not Call Registry;
- securing a major automotive industry victory before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit mooting injunctive claims for relief brought by private plaintiffs following a product recall; and
- defeating a federal Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) class action by persuading the West Virginia Supreme Court of Appeals that internet classified ads constitute an express invitation.
He regularly counsels clients on marketing and advertising issues, and has substantial experience in the automotive, fashion retail, dietary supplement, telemarketing, electronic mail marketing, consumer products and payment processing industries.
Michael also has served as outside counsel to the State Bar of California on issues related to its member programs. Before joining Shook, he was a partner with Sidley Austin, where he was the co-leader of the firm’s Consumer Class Action Defense practice.
He also is an avid marathoner, triathlete and four-time Ironman, completing competitions in Maryland (2018), Vineman (Sonoma County, California, 2016), Cozumel (2015) and Boulder (2014).
- J.D., The George Washington University Law School, 1991
- B.A., Binghamton University, 1988
- District of Columbia
- New Jersey
- International Association of Defense Counsel
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, Litigation Section
- Co-Chair, Complex Courts Committee (2017)
- Executive Committee (2017)
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers
- Board of Governors (2014-Present)
- State Bar of California, Antitrust & Unfair Competition Section
- Los Angeles County Bar Trial Advocacy Program
- Volunteer Prosecutor for the Los Angeles and Burbank City Attorney’s Offices
- Team Prime Time Board of Directors
- Clerk for the Hon. Rufus King III, Superior Court of the District of Columbia
- Clerk for the Hon. Steffen W. Grace, Superior Court of the District of Columbia
Rate : $$$