Michael R. Matthias develops case strategies early in the representation process and resolves issues in the best interest of his clients, whether through litigation or by providing a viable alternative to mitigate expensive litigation costs.
He is innovative and adaptive, using his experience with business and commercial litigation to anticipate client needs and determine the best course of action to remedy situations. Michael is ranked in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business in the area of Litigation: General Commercial.
- Negotiated an early settlement for a medical company during a privacy class action. Relationship with opposing counsel allowed him to candidly discuss the case and demonstrate the advantages of an early settlement, as it would make the most financial sense for the opposition. Ability to build trust between both sides resulted in negotiation that benefited all involved parties.
- Represented a medical center in a class action claiming medical data breach for more than 500,000 patients. Working with attorneys from multiple teams, filed a motion for summary judgment in response to the breach incident. The team also advised and assisted the medical center in its reaction to the investigation.
- Represented a majority stock purchaser in a dispute arising with the seller after a deal closed. Claims involved securities fraud, breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty, with the dispute being complicated due to the need to work with a foreign seller. Participated in international arbitration, including lengthy mediation sessions with domestic and foreign sellers. The matter was eventually settled during litigation in federal court.
- American Bar Association
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Los Angeles Superior Court Business Law Arbitration and Mediation Panels
- SIFMA Compliance and Legal Society
- J.D., Loyola Law School, 1973, magna cum laude
- B.A., University of California, Los Angeles, 1969, cum laude
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Tax Court
Rate : $$$$