Michael J. Mazzone, co-chair of the Litigation Practice Group, is an accomplished trial lawyer who has tried jury cases against prominent trial lawyers in Texas, Louisiana and New Mexico, and has handled cases pending in courts in North Dakota, Mississippi and Montana. Michael represents energy companies in environmental contamination, indemnity and toxic tort cases.
He also represents office building owners and medical office building owners, industrial tenants, developers and landlords, landowners and homebuilders, lenders and brokers, and energy companies in a wide range of construction litigation/arbitration and real estate disputes.
Michael is board certified in civil trial law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. Ranked by Chambers USA, Chambers and Partners, as a leading lawyer in environment law in Texas (2015-2019), clients describe Michael as “practical, knowledgeable and down-to-earth. He doesn’t overreact, and he takes a very reasoned approach to everything… he is the epitome of a good litigator; he doesn’t depend on fireworks, he just gets up and does a good job.”
Michael has made presentations on trial advocacy, arbitration and litigation at oil and gas industry conferences, bar association seminars, the Texas Environmental Superconference and the University of Texas Law School.
As an arbitrator, Michael is a member of the American Arbitration Association’s National Panel of Construction Arbitrators where he is regularly called on to preside over numerous construction arbitration matters and has been a speaker at the AAA’s National and Regional Panel Retreats, which are seminars providing training to AAA arbitrators.
For five years, Michael taught in the trial advocacy program at the University of Houston Law School as an adjunct professor of law, and he has served on the editorial board of the Houston Lawyer magazine, a publication of the Houston Bar Association. He oversees the firm’s Volunteer Prosecutors Program in which lawyers in the firm try misdemeanor jury trials for the cities of Houston and Arlington.
- J.D., Suffolk University Law School, 1983
- College of Arch. and Urban Planning, University of Michigan, 1978
- B.S., Business Administration, University of South Carolina, 1977
ADMISSIONS : Texas, Louisiana, Massachusetts, North Dakota
COURT ADMISSIONS :
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Louisiana
- U.S. District Court for the District of North Dakota
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
Rate : $$$