Michael A. Molano is the Intellectual Property practice leader and hiring partner for the Northern California offices. He has represented some of the leading technology companies in the US, including Marvell Semiconductor, Inc. and Philips Electronics North America.
His practice largely focuses on patent litigation in district courts and before the ITC, but he has experience in all areas of litigation, including commercial disputes involving technology. Mike has served as first-chair trial counsel in both jury and bench trials, as well as in arbitration proceedings.
Chambers USA ranks Mike as a leading lawyer in California in IP, stating that clients describe him as “very thorough and thoughtful.” Chambers also notes that he “knows the law, knows the technology and is very cost-effective.”
Mike was also recognized for his work in California in the 2015-18 editions of IAM Patent 1000, which describe him as a “bigwig” in IP and recommend him as “a smart choice for technically complex patent spats.”
He is also described as “a dexterous technology-focused litigator” and “top-notch licensing negotiator” – predominantly for US and European-based entities – who is “known for his detail-oriented approach and great sense of humour.”
An electrical engineer, Mike has drafted and prosecuted patent applications in the semiconductor, software, hardware and other electro-mechanical technologies. He has also served as IP deal counsel in corporate transactions.
- Northwestern University, BS, Electrical Engineering
- Saint Louis University School of Law, JD
- US Patent and Trademark Office
- Bellarmine Dads’ Club Board Member (2011-2015)
- AYSO Region 109 Soccer League (Menlo Park/Atherton), Registrar (2016-present); Regional Commissioner (2009-2015); Regional Coach Administrator (2005-2009)
- Global Education Committee Member, St. Louis University High School Strategic Plan Committee (Imagining 18)(2014-15)
- Board of Directors, The Little School Pre-School, San Francisco, California (Board Member, 2000–2003; Secretary and General Counsel, 2000–2002)
- San Francisco Bay Area IP Inn of Court, Current Master (past President and Executive Committee Member 2001-2006)
- Represented an electronics company in a multi-district litigation against an assertion by Plaintiff of MRI patent: favorable settlement.
- Represented a solar company in Northern District of California against an assertion by Plaintiff of solar interconnection patent: favorable settlement.
- Represented an electronics company in Delaware District Court against an assertion by Plaintiff of a light emitting diode patent: currently pending.
- Represented a clean air engineering company in Central District of California in a declaratory judgment action against owner of exhaust capturing system patent: invalidated patent after bench trial.
- Represented an electronics company in Massachusetts District Court against an assertion by Plaintiff of a high-energy particle accelerator patent: defeated preliminary injunction motion.
- Represented an electronics company in California Central District Court in an assertion of patents related to manufacturing of optical information carriers: won summary judgment.
- Represented a computer manufacturer in Florida Southern District Court against an assertion by Plaintiff of a biometric matching patent: favorable settlement.
- Represented semiconductor company in ITC Investigation under Section 337 of the Tariff Act relating to silicon signature semiconductor technology: resulted in determination of non-infringement and patent invalidity in favor of client.
- Represented semiconductor company in California Northern District Court against claims for copyright infringement, breach of contract and fraud: favorable settlement after winning summary judgment.
Rate : $$$