Michael P. Obert is a partner in the Phoenix office of Lewis Brisbois and a member of the Professional Liability Practice. Mr. Obert practices virtually all aspects of professional liability defense matters. In addition to financial professionals, Mr. Obert has represented insurance agents, real estate professionals, home owners associations and architects/engineers.
Mr. Obert’s practice also includes the other insurance defense claims and commercial litigation, including claims against debt collectors, bookkeepers and accountants, premises liability claims, products liability claims, contract claims, and automobile accidents.
Mr. Obert is a lead trial attorney with experience in numerous jury trials, evidentiary arbitrations, bench trials and other arbitrations. Two of Mr. Obert’s litigated matters were recognized by the WI Law Journal in 2003 as among its “Significant Defense Verdicts.”
Financial Professionals :
In 2013, Mr. Obert successfully prevented a suit accusing a client of selling certain insurance products that were allegedly unsuitable from being sent to FINRA arbitration. After previously stipulating to dismiss claims in state court, the plaintiffs tried to reallege their claims in FINRA arbitration. Mr. Obert convinced the FINRA panel to dismiss the claims on the grounds that FINRA lacked jurisdiction and that the claims had already been released.
Real Estate Professionals :
Mr. Obert’s real estate cases include defense of all types of real estate professionals including brokers, agents, mortgage professionals, home inspectors, appraisers, title companies, developers, landlords, and due diligence companies. Recent successes in this area have included :
- In 2008, Mr. Obert obtained a defense verdict at arbitration in a home inspection case alleging a failure to identify termite damage.
- In 2009, as a result of a motion for summary judgment filed by Mr. Obert, a real estate investor agreed to dismiss an alleged $13 million claim against a due diligence company for less than the cost of defense.
- University of Wisconsin Law School, Juris Doctor, cum laude, 1996
- University of Wisconsin – Madison, Bachelor of Science, with distinction, 1992
Admissions : State Bar Admissions, Arizona
- Arizona Association of Defense Counsel – Member, Board of Directors
- State Bar of Arizona
Rate : $$$