Michael V. Powell has years of experience as a trial and appellate lawyer. Mike works on a wide variety of matters, including defense of alleged accounting malpractice, oil and gas and other energy industry matters, and constitutional, statutory, and other public law questions.
He also has experience in products liability and other personal injury matters, aviation, indemnity and insurance issues, land boundary disputes, and other types of complex general contract and tort litigation.
He has briefed and presented oral arguments in several United States Courts of Appeals, the Texas Supreme Court, and the Texas Courts of Appeals and has extensive experience before federal and Texas State trial courts and arbitration tribunals.
In addition, Mike has briefed and argued matters in the Alabama, Delaware and Louisiana Supreme Courts, and he is a Fellow in the American College of Trial Lawyers. He is the former Chair of the Firm’s Energy Litigation practice group.
- Represent a national accounting firm in defense of alleged class action alleging that the accounting firm was improperly licensed in the State of Texas
- Represent a national accounting firm in a nationwide class action alleging over billing of travel expenses
- Represent a national accounting firm in proceeding alleging auditing malpractice and seeking damages in excess of $100 million relating to services performed for an independent oil and gas exploration company
- Represent a national accounting firm in investigations by the SEC and the Texas State Board of Public Accountancy
- Represent a major oil and gas company in various litigation and appellate matters, including class action litigation in Texas and Oklahoma
- Partner, Locke Lord LLP
- Law Clerk, Honorable Walter Ely, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit (1974 – 1975)
- J.D., with high honors, The University of Texas School of Law, 1974
- M.A., Public Administration, The University of Texas at Austin, 1972
- A.B., Davidson College, 1968
Admissions : Texas; Oklahoma; U.S. Supreme Court
Admitted To Practice :
- U.S. Tax Court
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
Rate : $$$