Michael Buchanan is a shareholder in Ogletree Deakins’ Dallas office. Board certified since 1996 in labor and employment law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, Mike represents leading national, regional, and local clients in complex labor and employment matters ranging from the defense of discrimination claims, class actions, and collective actions, to the prosecution and defense of noncompetition and trade secret disputes.
He also represents governmental entities and institutions of higher education in disputes alleging civil rights violations. Mike is a seasoned trial attorney who has tried jury cases to verdict throughout Texas and Louisiana.
He graduated with honors from Vanderbilt University in 1973 and with honors from Baylor School of Law in 1981. In between college and law school, Mike served with distinction as a Surface Warfare Officer and Nuclear Security Officer in the United States Navy.
- J.D., with honors, Baylor School of Law, 1981
- B.A., with honors, Vanderbilt University, 1973
Admitted to Practice:
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Eastern, Northern, Southern and Western Districts of Texas
REPRESENTATIVE TRIAL EXPERIENCES:
- Dismissal with prejudice of class claims of race discrimination against school district (Dallas 2008)
- Trial of misappropriation of business opportunity dispute (Dallas 2004)
- Trial of disability discrimination case brought by blind applicant for employment (Sherman 2002)
- Directed verdict for employer at close of plaintiff’s evidence in a sexual harassment case (New Orleans 2000)
- Judgment for defendant after trial on affirmative defense of failure to mitigate in an age discrimination case brought by a terminated warehouse supervisor (Dallas 1999) (affirmed by Fifth Circuit)
- Texas Bar Association (Labor and Employment Law Section)
- Dallas Bar Association (Employment Law Section; Fellow)
Rate : $$$$