Michael K. Renetzky is Managing Partner of our Chicago Office where his practice focuses on investment management, securities and corporate law. Michael has considerable experience counseling clients on securities law compliance, debt and equity financing matters, investment adviser, investment company and broker-dealer regulation.
Additionally, he devotes a substantial portion of his time to representing buyers and sellers in mergers and acquisitions transactions. Finally, he frequently counsels boards of directors and assists clients with governance matters. Michael is Chair of the Firm’s Finance Committee, Co-Chair of the Firm’s Corporate and Transactional Department.
Michael is a former member of the Firm’s Executive Committee and Board of Directors, a leader of the Firm’s Investment Adviser and Alternative Funds practice and a contributing author and editor of the Firm’s FUNDamentals TM Investment Management QuickStudy Series, which is prepared for investment advisers, fund managers and private investment companies.
Representative Experience :
- Organization of registered investment companies, hedge funds and other funds exempt from the registration requirements of the Investment Company Act of 1940
- Counseling on regulatory and compliance concerns affecting investment funds, federally covered investment advisers and state registered investment advisers
- Counseling on the Investment Company Act and broker-dealer implications of the life settlement business
- Counseling boards of directors of mutual companies and other non-stock entities on corporate governance matters
- Creation and SEC registration of Individual Variable Deferred Annuity for Federal Life Insurance Company (Mutual) and underlying open-end registered investment management company
- $150 million offering of Noncumulative Perpetual Preferred Shares of a financial holding company.
- Hartford Life Insurance Company’s acquisition of the group benefits division of CNA Financial Corporation for $500 million
- Hartford Life Insurance Company’s acquisition of the annuity, life and investment businesses of the Fortis Financial Group for $1.1 billion
Professional History :
- Partner, Locke Lord LLP
- Chicago Office Managing Partner
- Co-Chair, Corporate and Transactional Department
- Former Member, Locke Lord Executive Committee
Professional Affiliations :
- American Bar Association (1996 – Present)
- American College of Investment Counsel
- Fellow (2004 – Present)
- Course Professor, “Fund Governance,” Regulatory Compliance Association (2012-2016)
- J.D., Harvard Law School, 1996
- B.A./B.S., summa cum laude, Saint Louis University, 1993
Admissions : Illinois, 1996
Admitted To Practice :
- State Courts, Illinois, 1996
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, 1996
Rate : $$$