Michael Schaper is a litigation partner who focuses on various types of complex civil litigation, including in numerous areas of intellectual property law, as well as antitrust litigation and other antitrust counseling. He is recommended by Chambers USA and The Legal 500 US (2017).
Mr. Schaper regularly speaks on legal issues involving intellectual property. He was Co-Chair of Practising Law Institute’s 2015 Hot Topics in Advertising Law conference. He also recently taught at the Institute for Perception’s Advertising Claims Support course.
Mr. Schaper joined the firm in 2001 and became a partner in 2011. He received a J.D. in 2001 from the University of Chicago Law School, where he received the Edwin F. Mandel Award for outstanding contribution to the school’s clinical education program. He received a B.A. magna cum laude from Tufts University in 1998.
Mr. Schaper is a member of the Antitrust Section of the American Bar Association and the Association of the Bar of the City of New York.
- Learning Annex in obtaining a $23 million judgment after a jury trial of quasi-contract claims in the Southern District of New York.
- Bayer in obtaining a preliminary injunction against a TV ad that falsely claimed that Sentry Fiproguard Max prevents fleas and ticks from coming into contact with pets.
- National Football League (NFL) in winning summary judgment against retired players’ publicity-rights claims.
- Allied Domecq in obtaining dismissal of ownership claims filed by a Russian Federation entity related to the Stolichnaya trademark.
- A leading international life insurance company in successful eve-of-trial settlement of securities litigation arising from its demutualization.
- Induchem in a breach of contract lawsuit with its distributor, Lipo Chemicals, which resulted in a successful settlement just prior to jury selection.
- Defendants in the federal and state court Carbon Black Antitrust Litigation and Vitamins Antitrust Litigation.
- Plaintiff in tying, bundling and monopolization claims against major distributors of medical supplies.
- Bayer in false advertising challenges against Merial and Elanco over advertising for their competitive flea and tick control products for pets.
- University of Chicago Law School, 2001, J.D.
- Tufts University, 1998, B.A.
- New York
Rate : $$$