Michael D. Schiffer advises publicly and privately held real estate investment trust (REITs), banks, and other corporations in connection with mergers and acquisitions, corporate governance issues, securities transactions, and financings.
Mike also represents community development entities and other parties in connection with Federal New Markets Tax Credit (NMTC) financing transactions and has experience advising clients on opportunity zones.
Mike has spoken on corporate law and governance issues, including on stockholder activism, and has been retained to provide expert testimony on a Maryland corporate law matter. He has also spoken on Bank M&A and NMTC financing transactions.
- Served as counsel or Maryland counsel for the Special Committees of Capital Automotive, Eagle Hospitality, ECC Capital Corporation, and NorthStar Realty Finance Corp., in their consideration and negotiation of strategic alternatives or mergers
- Served as Maryland counsel to Annaly Capital Management, Arden Realty, Bedford Properties, BioMed Realty Trust, Inc., Glimcher Realty Trust, Nationwide Health Properties, Prentiss, Reckson, and Wintrust Financial Corporation in mergers in which they were parties
- Represented a bank in its acquisition of First Mariner Bank, in a 363 bankruptcy sale from its holding company, First Mariner Bancorp, and later represented First Mariner Bank in its merger into Howard Bancorp, Inc.
- Represented a global performance improvement solutions provider in its acquisition of a training provider for pharmaceutical and life sciences companies.
- Advised an electronics manufacturer in its sale to a Fortune 100 company.
- J.D. summa cum laude American University, Washington College of Law 1998
- B.A. cum laude Duquesne University 1995
Bar Admissions : Maryland
Professional Memberships : Member, Maryland State Bar Association; former member, steering committee, Joint Committee on Lawyers’ Opinions in Business Transactions.
- Advisory board member, South Baltimore Learning Center
- Former board member, Directors of Target Community & Educational Services, Inc.
Rate : $$$