Michael Jay Schlifka has a dual membership to the Georgia Bar and New York State Bar. While in New York, Michael maintained a diverse practice, including family law, criminal defense, residential real estate and consumer bankruptcy for approximately 15 years, both as a solo practitioner and as lead associate attorney in a mid-size law firm on Long Island.
Since relocating to Atlanta, he has focused his legal career primarily in family law. Prior to joining Meriwether & Tharp in February, 2015, Michael maintained a solo practice in Norcross, Georgia for over 20 years.
He has successfully handled a vast range of family law cases including, uncontested and contested divorce, child custody, support, equitable division, modification, contempt, family violence, legitimation, pre/post nuptial agreements, and step-parent adoption.
His practice has taken him to the entire Metro Atlanta area including, but not limited to Barrow, Clayton, Cobb, DeKalb, Fulton, Gwinnett, Hall, in addition to Augusta, Catoosa, and Meriwether Counties.
Michael strives to maintain a high level of professionalism while dedicating a fierce commitment to attaining the needs and realistic goals of his client.
Michael is also a frequent presenter at the Fulton County Family Law Pro Se Litigant Workshops.
On a personal note, Michael has been married for nearly 30 years and has one adult son and 2 family dogs. He has maintained his passion for racewalking initially on a successful competitive level, and more recently on a leisurely basis. Michael is a past President of the Walking Club of Georgia, Roswell Rapids Swim Team Booster Club President, former marathon coach, and is proud to have completed 7 full marathons and many more half marathons.
- The George Washington University, Washington, D.C., Bachelor of Arts, 1975
- The University of Toledo, College of Law, Toledo, Ohio, Juris Doctor, 1978
- State Bar of Georgia, Member(1994 through present), Family Law Section
- State Bar of New York, Member(1979 through present)
- Sate Bar of Georgia, Family Law Section, Member (1995 through present)
- United States District Court for the Easter District of New York, Member (1981 through present)
- New York State Bar Association, Member (1979 through present)
- Supreme Court of New York, Member (1979 through present)
Rate : $$$$