Michael E. Sievers’s practice focuses on unmanned systems, energy transactions and commercial real estate. Michael is co-chair of the firm’s Unmanned Systems Group, as well as the group’s Unmanned Aircraft Systems practice.
His Unmanned Systems practice focuses on assisting clients with the integration of these emerging technologies into their business practices. Often, these efforts include contracting with UAS test sites and vendors; seeking exemption from current FAA regulatory restrictions affecting UAS (through Section 333 or otherwise); participating in the legislative and/or rulemaking process; and otherwise tracking, understanding, and complying with the developing federal, state, and local regulatory frameworks. Michael’s knowledge has been tapped by several media outlets, including The Wall Street Journal and The New York Times, and he gives educational presentations on the topic.
He has provided subject matter expertise to the Virginia Israel Advisory Board, an agency of the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Michael’s real estate practice focuses on renewable and traditional energy projects. He also has extensive experience with tax credit-generating real estate investments, as well as traditional commercial real estate leasing, acquisition, disposition, and financing.
- Advising a Fortune 150 energy company in connection with all of its efforts to develop and implement a commercial UAS program, including the pursuit of advanced research and development and proof-of-concept projects.
- Counseling a Fortune 200 energy company in regard to the implementation of advanced research and development UAS projects, submission of rulemaking comments, and related legislative efforts.
- Negotiated Research and Testing Agreement with the Mid-Atlantic Aviation Partnership (MAAP), one of the six national UAS test sites.
- Negotiated agreements for UAS flight testing services from a leading UAS manufacturer and service provider.
- Assisted an energy company in obtaining an exemption under Section 333 from the FAA.
- Advised energy company in connection with submission of comments to the FAA’s sUAS Notice of Proposed Rulemaking.
- Provided advice regarding NTIA Multistakeholder Process and general UAS privacy and patent matters.
- Negotiated acquisition agreement for a fleet of unmanned aircraft systems.
- Represented a private equity fund in the $475 million purchase of ownership interests in two coal-fired power plants located in Pennsylvania.
- Represented an independent power producer in the acquisition of several solar projects in the Northeast. Real estate aspects of the representation included negotiating leases, the sale agreements, title and survey, and various local and regional permit-related due diligence and negotiations.
- Represented independent power producer, as Tenant, in ground leasing 34+ acres of land for the development of a 4.07 MW solar photovoltaic power system in Sandwich, MA.
- Represented independent power producer, as Tenant, in leasing 26+ acres of land for the development of a 3.0 MW solar photovoltaic power system in Shirley, MA.
- Represented major health care system, as Tenant, in leasing 42,000+ square feet of office space in Richmond, VA with expansion rights for approximately 13,000+ additional square feet.
- Represented S&P 600 technology company, as Tenant, in leasing 62,000+ square feet of office space in Reston Town Center in Reston, VA.
- Represented international engine and turbine manufacturer, as Tenant, in leasing 78,000+ square feet of office space in Reston Town Center in Reston, VA.
- Represented international engine and turbine manufacturer company as Sub-Landlord in sub-leasing 26,000+ square feet of office space in Reston Town Center in Reston, VA.
- Represented Fortune 500 packaging and paper products company, as Tenant, in leasing 204,000+ square feet of office space in Richmond, VA.
- Represented major health care system, as Landlord, in negotiating several employed-physician clinic leases.
- JD, University of Southern California Gould School of Law, 2002
- BA, Psychology, University of California, Santa Cruz, 1996
- Board Member, Jewish Community Federation of Richmond, 2010-Present
- Treasurer, Jewish Community Federation of Richmond, 2014-2016
- Assistant Treasurer, Jewish Community Federation of Richmond, 2010-2014
- Director, USC Alumni Club of Central Virginia, 2014-Present
- Vice President, USC Alumni Club of Central Virginia, 2010, 2013-2014
- President, USC Alumni Club of Central Virginia, 2011-2013
Rate : $$$