Over the past decade, Michael L. Simes has devoted his practice to litigating and trying complex contractual disputes across the country, with a focus on the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York and the Commercial Division of the New York State Supreme Court.
Michael has secured summary judgment and other pre-trial victories on matters collectively worth more than $600 million for parties ranging from large international banks to officers and directors of closely held corporations. In 2017, Michael is trying both a jury trial and a bench trial in two separate post-acquisition contractual disputes, each with more than $20 million at stake.
Along with his background in complex commercial litigation, Michael has broad litigation experience in financial services, adversary actions in bankruptcy and reorganization proceedings, internal investigations, and regulatory inquiries. While earning his undergraduate degree from Rollins College, Michael was honored as a Nina O. Dean Scholar.
- Lead litigation counsel to the former chief financial officer of a leading financial institution in connection with securities fraud class actions and derivative actions.
- Lead litigation counsel to financial institution as plaintiff in actions against defaulted foreign derivatives counterparties. Secured pre-discovery summary judgment on behalf of client.
- Counsel to leading financial institution as senior secured lender in connection with actions instituted by a financial services company’s offshore investors and creditors.
- Counsel in connection with an automotive manufacturer’s investigation regarding rollovers of its sports utility vehicles.
- Lead counsel to several individuals in federal antitrust and corruption investigations. Prepared clients for testimony and interviews; negotiated plea agreements with DOJ.
- Representation of various banks and accounting firms in inquiries and investigations by the Securities & Exchange Commission.
- University of Michigan Law School, JD, cum laude, 2000
- Rollins College, BA, magna cum laude, President’s List, 1997
- New York
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
Rate : $$$$