Michael G. Stern is a corporate counsel based in the New York office and a member of the firm’s Insurance Industry Group. He is also a contributing author to the Debevoise & Plimpton Financial Institutions Report.
Mr. Stern joined the firm in 2009. He received a J.D. from Harvard Law School in 2009, where he was senior editor of the Journal of Law and Public Policy. He received a B.A. magna cum laude from Brandeis University in 2005. Mr. Stern is a member of the Bar of the State of New York.
- Principal Financial Group in its $1.2 billion acquisition of Wells Fargo & Company’s Institutional Retirement & Trust business.
- The Carlyle Group in its strategic partnership with AIG to position DSA Re as a platform to provide solutions for insurance liabilities globally.
- MAPFRE Insurance in its agreement to provide Safeco Insurance the opportunity to underwrite its personal lines policies in the states of Indiana, Kentucky and Tennessee.
- American International Group in its $5.56 billion acquisition of Validus Group, a Bermuda-based, NYSE-listed, (re)insurance company.
- AmTrust Financial Services in a strategic transaction with Madison Dearborn for a portion of AmTrust’s U.S. fee businesses valued at $1.15 billion.
- American International Group in the sale of its medical stop-loss operations to Tokio Marine HCC.
- Canada Pension Plan Investment Board in its $1.1 billion acquisition of Ascot from American International Group.
- J.P. Morgan Securities and Morgan Stanley as financial advisors to American International Group in its $3.4 billion sale of United Guaranty Corporation, the leading private mortgage insurance company in the United States, to Arch Capital Group.
- Swiss Re Corporate Solutions in its $153 million acquisition of IHC Risk Solutions and its direct employer stop loss business from Independence Holding Company.
- Protective Life in its acquisition by reinsurance of certain in-force blocks of term life insurance from Genworth Life and Annuity Insurance Company.
- Sun Life Financial in its $975 million acquisition of Assurant’s Employee Benefits business.
- Stone Point Capital in its significant equity investment in specialty insurance broker Alliant Insurance Services, with KKR retaining a significant equity investment in the business.
- HC2 Holdings in its acquisition of American Financial Group’s long-term care businesses.
- Morgan Stanley as financial advisor to Pan-American Life Mutual Holding Company in its merger with Mutual Trust Holding Company.
- Harvard Law School, 2009, J.D.
- Brandeis University, 2005, B.A.
- New York
Rate : $$$