Michael R. Stiff focuses his practice on estate planning, probate, trust administration and business planning. Clients value his ability to digest large amounts of complex information and to explain the key points in simple terms.
Mike leads the Private Wealth and Tax Group for the Denver office. He is also co-author of Chapter 42 of the Colorado Estate Planning Handbook on the Special Valuation Rules of Sections 2701-2704 of the Internal Revenue Code and is a frequent speaker on estate planning topics at continuing legal and professional education programs for attorneys and CPAs.
- Mike has assisted principals of oil and gas companies, private equity firms, and hedge funds in planning for their carried interests and in the gifting of such carried interests to multigenerational trusts for the benefit and protection of future generations.
- Mike assists non-U.S. citizens (resident or nonresident aliens) with estate planning for their domestic and foreign situs assets. Assisted a German citizen (nonresident alien) in establishing a multigenerational trust for family members located in the U.S., which avoided U.S. gift tax, estate tax and generation-skipping transfer tax for the donor and future generations.
- Mike regularly assists Canadian citizens located in the U.S., including business owners and numerous professional hockey players, in developing comprehensive estate plans to address cross-border issues and to provide for tax-efficient and orderly distribution of assets during their lifetime and after their death.
- Assisted a family with transferring a $100 million business to younger family members, without any gift or estate tax, while providing control and support to those family members involved in the company, and ensuring equitable division and a continuing stream of income for those family members not involved in the company.
- Colorado Bar Association
- Denver Bar Association
- Rocky Mountain Estate Planning Council
- J.D., The University of Arizona James E. Rogers College of Law, 1995
- B.S., Nebraska Wesleyan University, 1992
Admissions : Colorado, 1995
Rate : $$$$