Michael Liu Su’s practice spans both patent and trade secret matters, involving industries such as biotechnology, pharmaceuticals, chemical, medical devices, automotive, and computer technology. His litigation experience includes representing clients before state and federal court, and before arbitrators. He also maintains an active patent prosecution and due diligence practice.
Michael has successfully represented clients through trial in federal court and in arbitration cases. His litigation experience includes pre-suit investigation and counseling, fact and expert discovery, claim construction, motion practice, and trial.
He has also successfully defended patents before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB) in inter partes reviews (IPR). Michael has litigated trade secret cases, both under state law and under the federal Defend Trade Secrets Act.
Michael also maintains a noncontentious patent practice, including representing clients in freedom-to-operate analyses, providing opinions on patent validity in licensing and acquisition matters, and prosecuting patent applications before U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) and, when on appeal, before the PTAB.
In addition to his patent practice, Michael devotes significant time to pro bono matters, such as representing veterans in their appeals before the U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims, and representing tenants facing eviction in Silicon Valley before California state court. He publishes regularly on the latest developments in patent and trade secret law, including recent court decisions and federal legislation.
Before law school, Michael worked at a patent prosecution firm in Asia, representing Asian clients before the USPTO. He drafted and prosecuted patent applications across a variety of technologies. In his graduate work, Michael focused on cancer research at the cellular level, specifically in the areas of cell cycles, cell migration, and cancer metastasis.
- University of California, Berkeley, Boalt Hall School of Law J.D., 2014
- National Yang-Ming University M.S., Genome Sciences, 2008
- National Yang-Ming University B.S., Life Science, 2007
- U.S. District Court, C.D. California
- U.S. District Court, N.D. California
- U.S. District Court, N.D. Illinois
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Veterans Claims
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Professional Activities :
- San Francisco Bay Area Intellectual Property Inn of Court
- Asian Pacific American Bar Association of Silicon Valley (APABA-SV)
- Chinese American Biopharmaceutical Society (CABS)
Rate : $$$