An experienced litigator and bankruptcy attorney, Michael A. Sweet employs a client-centric approach to provide strategic solutions to complex legal matters. In practice for more than 20 years, he is a recognized authority on Chapter 9 issues and has been interviewed on multiple occasions by The New York Times, CNBC, The Wall Street Journal and Bloomberg, among others.
Michael works with cross-border transactions, intellectual property matters and assisting American companies pursuing investments abroad. Clients trust in Michael to help them navigate through financial restructurings and bankruptcy as well as complex litigation matters and election law issues in federal and state court.
He has brought multiple jury and bench trials to verdict. Michael also serves as a mediator on the Northern District of California Bankruptcy Court’s ADR panel. Michael represents debtors, creditors and creditors’ committees and trustees in bankruptcy cases throughout the state of California and nationally.
He has extensive experience litigating preferences, fraudulent conveyances, claims objections and plan confirmation, and he frequently advises clients in financial distress on bankruptcy avoidance. He also handles municipal restructurings. He has represented cities, counties and special districts in financial restructurings (Chapter 9) and as creditors in bankruptcy cases.
Representative Matters :
- Counsel for the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors of Heavenly Couture (Bankr. C.D. Cal.).
- Counsel for the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors of SpeedVegas (Bankr. D. Del.)
- Counsel for the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors of Fresh & Easy, Inc. (Bankr. D. Del.)
- Counsel for the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors of Santa Cruz Berry Farming, Inc. (Bankr. N.D. Cal. – San Jose Division)
- Successfully represented a California county in negotiations with state regulators over a budget shortfall to prevent the need for a Chapter 9 filing.
- Served as lead bankruptcy counsel to the Official Committee of Equity Investors in California Mortgage and Realty (CMR) cases in the Northern District of California, which involved more than 1,200 equity investors with claims based on more than $200 million in investments.
- Represented a Healthcare District in obtaining significant concessions from creditors thereby avoiding a Chapter 9 bankruptcy filing.
Michael is an accomplished litigator who represents both plaintiffs and defendants in state and federal courts in commercial and employment disputes, creditors’ rights issues and class actions, including those under California’s Unfair Competition Law. His clients include technology companies, green-tech businesses, financial institutions, hospitality companies and a gourmet food producer.
Michael has practiced at various bankruptcy and litigation firms throughout California. Prior to his arrival at Fox, he served as chair of the municipal debt restructuring and bankruptcy practice group at a California law firm. He is a former judicial extern for The Hon. Lisa Hill Fenning of the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Central District of California.
- University of California, Los Angeles, School of Law (J.D., 1996)
- Brandeis University (B.A., cum laude, 1991)
- Bar Association of San Francisco
- California Political Attorneys’ Association
- California State Democratic Central Committee
BOARD OF DIRECTORS :
- Commissioner, San Francisco Human Rights Commission (Chair 2011-2014; Vice Chair 2009-2011 and 2016-present)
- Bay Area Bankruptcy Forum (Vice President, 2018-2019)
- California Bankruptcy Forum (Program Co-chair, 2019)
- San Francisco Metropolitan Jewish Community Relations Council
COURT ADMISSIONS :
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
Rate : $$$$