Michael J. Volpe, Labor and Employment Practice Group chair, represents domestic and international corporations with U.S. operations in all facets of labor law. Michael represents clients in union organizing efforts, administration and negotiation of collective bargaining agreements, and every type of litigation originating from the employment relationship.
He has vast trial experience before state and federal courts and administrative agencies. Michael also advises clients on the often thorny employment issues that arise in the daily course of business.
His clients include employers in the healthcare, real estate, private equity, retail, manufacturing, mining, theater and entertainment, nonprofit, education, restaurant, and hospitality industries.
Michael represents public and private employers in labor matters ranging from union organizing issues and related proceedings before the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) and/or the New York State Public Employment Relations Board (PERB) to collective bargaining and complex, “first contract” labor negotiations.
He routinely serves as first chair in collective bargaining and related labor arbitration and mediation proceedings. In addition, he regularly handles labor relations issues unique to mergers and acquisitions and in bankruptcy situations. He often provides training to employers on union organization.
Michael has extensive jury trial experience, defending against all types of employment-related claims under federal, state, and local laws. His practice includes the defense of wage-hour class action matters under federal and state laws.
Michael also has represented clients defending against claims of breach of contract, unfair business practices, unpaid sales commissions, violations of restrictive covenants, and various business tort claims.
He has bench and jury trial experience in the commercial area and has handled a number of cases resulting in defense verdicts, including in complex real estate and construction-related litigation.
- Former deputy mayor, Village of Pelham, New York
- Former town council member, Village of Pelham, New York
- Mayor, Village of Pelham, New York
- Won a defense verdict in a $10 million breach of contract case brought by a medical practice group against a hospital
- Obtained dismissal of challenges to a New York nonprofit entity consummating a real estate transaction that provided the client with $31.8 million from a real estate deal and development of a neighboring property. Caraballo, et al. v. Art Students League, et al.
- Obtained dismissal of tort and fraud claims brought by nine graduates of New York Law School who accused their alma mater of misleading them about their postgraduate employment prospects. Gomez-Jiminez, et al. v. New York Law School, et al.
- Defended against a putative class action against a university that stemmed from the school’s reporting of detailed post-graduate information. Casey, et al. v. Florida Coastal School of Law, et al.
- Obtained a favorable outcome in defense of a college and several of its administrators, in a federal action alleging misconduct in the college’s athletics department. Cooper v. The Trustees of the College of the Holy Cross, et al.
- J.D. New York Law School 1990
- M.S. Cornell University/Baruch College 1986
- B.A. Hofstra University 1983
Bar Admissions : New York
Court Admissions :
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of New York
Professional Memberships :
- Member, New York State Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Board member, Inside Broadway, 2015 – 2018
- Member, board of governors, New York Athletic Club, 2013 – 2019
- Board member, St. Anthony’s High School, 2014 – 2017
- Board member, Pelham Civic Association
Rate : $$$$