A. Michael Warnecke provides battle-tested leadership in the largest and most complicated legal matters in the country involving government investigations, litigation and regulatory compliance.Mike serves as lead antitrust counsel to AT&T for its pre-close integration planning efforts in connection with its mergers and acquisitions, management of AT&T’s parlor process and other “gun-jumping” compliance frameworks. He has served AT&T in this role for all of its recent significant transactions, including its acquisitions of Time Warner and DIRECTV.
The Time Warner merger was the largest corporate merger announced in 2016 and the fifth-largest deal in recent years. The DIRECTV merger was the largest merger announced in 2014 to reach close. Mike also provides integration planning antitrust counseling to other companies during their most significant mergers and acquisitions.
Mike leads the Akin Gump team in its representation of Trinity Industries in all aspects of the high-profile, high-stakes litigation and investigations against the company related to its highway guardrail end-terminal systems, the ET Plus.
These matters have included federal and multiple state-equivalent False Claims Act (FCA) actions, a federal criminal investigation, purported class actions by government purchasers in three states and Canada, multiple purported securities class actions and derivative suits, numerous product liability cases across the country and a General Accounting Office review of the Federal Highway Administration, as well as other regulatory, congressional and media interest.
- Serves on Akin Gump’s Management Committee guiding the firm’s operations worldwide.
- Provides leadership during corporate crises, high-stakes litigation and regulatory investigations.
- Advised a U.S.-based sales executive of an Italian company in a DOJ criminal antitrust investigation relating to antitrust violations in the marine hose industry.
- Assisted a manufacturing company in a federal criminal investigation of antitrust allegations about the company’s distribution network and pricing practices.
- Defended that same global freight forwarder in a separate federal criminal investigation, government contractor suspension proceeding and civil False Claims Act qui tamaction regarding transactions in the Iraqi theater.
- Defended a major global freight forwarder in an international industrywide antitrust investigation into possible price fixing and other collusive activity. The investigation began with a dawn raid by the Antitrust Division of the DOJ to execute a search warrant and a simultaneous inspection by the European Commission. The scope was expanded to include investigations by antitrust regulators in Brazil, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore and Switzerland.
- Member, Board of Trustees, St. Mark’s School of Texas, past chair of the Development and Finance Committees and past co-chair of the school’s long range planning task force.
- President, St. Mark’s School of Texas Alumni Association, 2009 to 11.
- Co-Chair, St. Mark’s School of Texas Reunion Class, setting the school’s all-time fundraising record for any class.
- Chambers USA, Antitrust, 2013 and 2014.
- J.D., University of Texas School of Law, with honors, 1994
- A.B., Dartmouth College, magna cum laude, 1991
Rate : $$$$