Michael A. Wilder regularly advises and represents employers in various areas of employment law before state and federal district courts, state and federal appellate courts, the American Arbitration Association, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, and other state agencies responsible for investigating workplace discrimination and harassment.
A skilled litigator, Michael successfully defended a major health care provider in an appeal before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, in which the Court affirmed the district court’s dismissal of all counts for want of prosecution.
He successfully argued an appeal before the same Court on behalf of a refractories company, which resulted in the Court’s affirmation of the district court’s grant of summary judgment on all counts.
Michael was recently part of a trial team that defended a waste disposal company during a jury trial in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois. His team received a complete defense verdict on all claims. The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit affirmed the verdict in its entirety on appeal.
Michael is an active member of the firm’s Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP) Practice Group and lectures on this subject before government contractor groups on various affirmative action and audit preparation topics.
He has successfully defended dozens of OFCCP compliance audits for the firm’s clients throughout the country. He has prepared and defended dozens of desk audit submissions and has significant on-site defense experience preparing and defending managers in interviews and preparing employees for interviews. His experience includes:
- Preparing affirmative action plans
- Representing government contractors before the OFCCP
- Preparing for and defending OFCCP audits and onsite visits
- Evaluating compensation, hiring, promotions, and terminations disparity claims
Michael is also a member of the firm’s Class Action Practice Group. He has authored several publications on recent issues in employment class and collective actions.
Michael was a judicial extern to the Hon. Diane Larsen of the Circuit Court of Cook County. In law school, he was an editor for the Employee Rights and Employment Policy Journal, an extern for the National Labor Relations Board, and was inducted into the prestigious Bar and Gavel Society. He also earned his Certificate of Labor and Employment Law.
- J.D., Chicago-Kent College of Law, 2006
- B.A., Michigan State University – James Madison College, 2003
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Indiana
Professional & Community Affiliations :
- Member, Labor and Employment Law Committee, American Bar Association
- Member, Board of Directors, Just the Beginning – a Pipeline Program
- Associate Board Member, Coordinated Advice and Referral Program for Legal Services (CARPLS)
- Member, The Chicago American Inn of Court
Rate : $$$