Michael Wolak is a Partner in the Atlanta office of Locke Lord LLP where he represents domestic and international clients across a wide spectrum of industries, including telecommunications, biotechnology, financial, consumer reporting, automotive, health care, and energy.
Mike has broad experience counseling clients and litigating a full range of sophisticated commercial disputes and business torts in state and federal courts throughout the U.S. and in domestic and international arbitral forums, including Delaware’s Chancery Court and the International Chamber of Commerce.
His litigation experience includes complex contractual disputes both domestic and international in scope, intellectual property litigation, restrictive covenants and trade secrets, director and officer liability, shareholder derivative litigation, fiduciary duty claims, partnership and joint venture disputes, product liability and life sciences, as well as unfair business practices, fraud, and disputes involving complex business, financial and real estate transactions.
Mike has held prominent, leading roles in some of the nation’s largest product liability matters on behalf of national and international manufacturers. He has significant trial and appellate experience, including oral argument in the Georgia Supreme Court and the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals, and broad experience in consumer class action litigation, internal corporate investigations, FTC investigations, e-discovery oversight and best practices, and litigation under the Uniform Partnership Act, the Fair Credit Reporting Act, and the False Claims Act.
Representative Experience :
- Defended a national highway and bridge construction company in litigation under the False Claims Act
- Defended a multi-million dollar trademark/trade dress litigation on behalf of a national pet pharmaceutical company
- Defended a multinational biotechnology company against claims for breach of contract and trade secret misappropriation involving transactions with entities in Egypt.
- Defended two former officers and directors of a multi-national industrial company in a shareholder derivative action seeking more than $160 million for alleged breach of fiduciary duties
- Represented a major global logistics company in a multi-million dollar tax appraisal trial and obtained a jury verdict and an award of attorney fees and litigation expenses
- Defended a Swedish manufacturer of complex medical imaging equipment in complex commercial litigation before the American Arbitration Association and the International Chamber of Commerce
- Defended a major entertainment company in highly publicized whistleblower litigation
Professional Affiliations and Recognitions :
- Member, Atlanta Bar Association – Litigation and Product Liability Sections
- Member, Cobb County Bar Association – Business Law and Litigation Section
- Former Barrister, Lamar American Inn of Court
- Former Faculty Member and Lecturer for the National Business Institute
- Former Instructor for NITA/Emory University Trial Techniques Workshops (2006-2011)
- J.D., cum laude, Syracuse University College of Law, 2001
- B.A., Economics, St. John Fisher College, 1997
Admissions : Georgia
Admitted To Practice :
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
- Georgia Court of Appeals
Rate : $$$